Detailing at the next level. Merc C180. Magic Detail.

Hi guys,

This is my first 'detailing thread'. I didn't know whether to put it in here, or my own section as your newest forum trader! I hope you don't mind me sticking it in here...

Right, I'll start from the top then. The owner of this car first contacted me with a view of tidying up the paintwork on his mother-in-law's Merc C180. When he arrived I quickly realised this was going to be no ordinary detail! I inspected the car throughout when my client got here, and we decided on a course of action. As of late I've had alot of "can you just" jobs added onto the original, which I don't mind, and put that down to people seeing more and more of what I can do (despite me avoiding DW like the plague).

So it changed from an enhancement / minor correction detail which you've seen me post quite often, to a full fat 2 stage polish with paintwork, dent removal, replacement badges, new stereo, new wing mirror and wheel refurb!!

Started out like this;

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4119.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

So I got it prewashed with ph-neutral snow, mixed with a little APC to give it some bite around the small work - the gunk oozing out of the window rubbers and around the roof guttering.. proper manky stuff. Didn't take a picture, hands were too dirty. It was washed using the two bucket method - why? even though the paintwork was goosed, I didn't want to create even more work for myself!! Then de-ironised and clayed when indoors;

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

Cleaned all these panel gaps out around the lights and got rid of the green slime that had gathered on the inner edge of the light. Then I clayed the car.

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

Taped the car up and started to take some paint readings - some panels had seen paint over the years, could see that without the gauge thanks to some lacquer runs and the usual kind of poor worksmanship that is too common these days. Once it was taped up and ready to go, I took shots as I was going along.. starting with the damage;

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

After polishing, colour looks totally different - it was flat in the above shots, now look at the gloss, and no scratches;

IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

Moving around the car now..

IMG_4149.jpg

After the first stage;

IMG_4150.jpg

Final refinement;

IMG_4152.jpg

The boot, under the strip light before and after (disregard the orange peel, I wasn't tackling that)..

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

Whilst the badges were off.. look at the dullness, as if it's been cleaned with an emery cloth.

IMG_4155.jpg

Gloss returned;

IMG_4157.jpg

Rear lights were the same - being plastic, they only needed a single stage, but the difference is still night and day - if I hadn't told you, you would more than likely think they had been replaced..

IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

All the time this was going on, the wheels were also being worked on and refurbished...

IMG_4163.jpg

IMG_4164.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

The bumpers were also taken off to my paint shop for repair - when they arrived back I refined the finish to the same high gloss level as the rest of the car.

And finally, after re-washing the car down to remove all the polishing dust I was able to apply the finishing touches. In this instance, 2 layers of Zaino Z2 sealant and after 2hrs a final wipe down with Zaino Z8. Between coats I worked on the interior and dressed all the trim, including the grill and other chrome work, which when added together with 50hrs work overall;

IMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4277.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

Thanks for reading! If you made it this far you did well! But I hope you enjoyed looking at my work..

Don't forget to 'like' my facebook page to keep up to date with other treatments and services I'm offering..

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Magic-Detail/146471192042804

Remember, as your only forum vehicle detailing sponsor, exclusive discounts are available for all members of the forum, with extra discounts for gold and platinum members!

Best wishes,
Matt.

Thanks for the comments. My client was over the moon, he did not think it was possible to restore it to such condition, I exceeded his expectations!! :smile:

Nice one Matt, when you said you had a week long job on a C-Class I thought it was a new-ish one!?!

Looks like it's been in a time warp, cracking job. :smile:

I'll get some more work posted up as and when. I do have a new C-Class I detailed not so long back that's worth a look.

Who's going to be the first Clio though???

Looks like it's been in a time warp, cracking job. :smile:

Is this not 1998??? :tongueout:anic:

Wow it looks fab, very good work :smile: :thumbup1: x would like my clio to look as shiny and new like that ha ha.

Similar Thread Suggestions