Delete

best have a look at the plug that goes in the end of it...could be a faulty pin not making good contact

Maybe, will have a look at that. It has to be that sensor, as when the problem happens I simple touch an gently fettle with the cable to the sensor and then it fires up. The AA chap said they build up static so it blocks the signal on the sensor, so you touch it to earth it; but even if that was true, it can't build up that quick!

static.... really :zap:

The AA chap said they build up static so it blocks the signal on the sensor, so you touch it to earth it; but even if that was true, it can't build up that quick!

:rofl:.........does he think your car wears nylons at the weekends!!......dodgy connector or the sensor itself. They are a simple device generating a low amplitude pulse (every time a tooth goes past). In my industrial working history with these types of designs, they do break down or if your unlucky a sensor which is a smidge to long gets "shaved" by the teeth and the the insulation properties of the plastic start to degrade and let in oil/crap and pre-age the sensor.
The sensor is easy to get to and a new one is only a few bob, so start with that first. The connector will be a little more of a challenge, as these days they are a non maintainable item and as its integral with the loom. But never the less is fixable.
Apologies for insulting any intelligence as its often hard to gauge members technical abilities.

iirc you might be able to get the part of the loom that goes to the tdc sensor - a friend I am sure had one replaced with similar fault to yours