Cut on Sidewall

Hi all, just a quick question:

Earlier on today i had to swerve to avoid some idiot and had to bump up a kerb, heard a small thud and got out and looked and my alloy was kerbed (not an issue as my alloy was already kerbed by previous owner) but the tyre had rubbed off the kerb and the sidewall has been cut through, not deep and not through the cord, but just wanted some opinions if it was OK or not, i'll let the pics do the talking:

522622_10152656454365481_101769921_n.jpg

392938_10152656454475481_1559683375_n.jpg

That looks like a nasty gouge there. Personally I'd get a new tyre, and something a lot better than a Barum one at that. You car will thank you for it. Trust me.

Don't risk it mate get a new one has it got a bleb in it

A bleb? :S

If you mean a bulge then there isn't one, just the cut.

You guys think that tyre would hold out until the weekend when I can get a chance to go to the tyre place? Working all day tomorrow and Friday and won't get to the garage while they're open

You look quite lucky to have hit the wheel on the spoke area, I reckon you could have cracked the alloy had you hit it in between. But as said that needs a new tyre.

yep thats one for the bin!

blow out waiting to happen by the looks of it...not good :bored:

You look quite lucky to have hit the wheel on the spoke area, I reckon you could have cracked the alloy had you hit it in between. But as said that needs a new tyre.

Alloy looks far worse than it is, it's had a crap refurb before so it chipped a tiny bit of paint and the rest of the paint just flaked off.

I'm surprised this is that bad, I was doing less than 5 mph at the time

Am I the only person thinking it will be absolutely fine?

-No cords showing
-No bulge

If it had either of the above, then no question - change it!

But minor cuts are cosmetic. You certainly won't get any points for a minor cut to the sidewall.

Am I the only person thinking it will be absolutely fine?

-No cords showing
-No bulge

If it had either of the above, then no question - change it!

But minor cuts are cosmetic. You certainly won't get any points for a minor cut to the sidewall.

hear what you say BUT sidewalls dont have as much rubber depth as the tread area and the cut does look deep enough for the cords to be exposed...

not only that seeing that damage the strength of the tyre in that area has been compromised - worth a gamble?

If it was my tyre I'd replace it, if it will hold up until the weekend is anyones guess, stuff like this could pop at a moments notice or hold out surprisingly well.

If your driving was 30/40mph town driving to get to work I'd take my chance, I wouldn't be hitting any dual carriageways or motorways on it though.

hear what you say BUT sidewalls dont have as much rubber depth as the tread area and the cut does look deep enough for the cords to be exposed...

not only that seeing that damage the strength of the tyre in that area has been compromised - worth a gamble?

I totally get what you're saying. Also, I don't want to recommend anything saying that OP will definitely be ok, as should the worst happen and the tyre lets go, I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

Just going by the bare facts, it would seem ok to me, especially given OP said the impact to the tyre was at around 5mph.

On the flip side, like you said the rubber on the sidewall is thinner than it is on the tread, and the integrity of the sidewall is a big deal.

:s