200: Curtain airbags

Anyone ever set off their curtian air bags? I know a person that knows another person that might have set theirs off on the passneger side of their 200. No other airbags deployed though...apparently.

What are your thoughts? Expensive enough to possibly write off the car?

On a completely different topic, can anyone point me in the direction of threads of people that have crashed their 200/197's. Just for interest, clearly.

Gah!!! Well tell your friend he's done very well to only set one off!!! :smiley:

Not sure on costs etc. though I'm afraid. Can't recall seeing many, if any threads with stuff like that in.

He did definitely set it off. Glancing impact with tree on left side. Car looked ok-ish but curtain bags seem like an expensive fix. insurance people are in the process of assessing it. Fingers crossed. Does anyone know what speed initiates them?

Does the car still start drive?

any pictures ?

my mk3 (1.2 TCE) the damage wasn't that bad and I deployed NO airbags but the car wouldnt start due to the impact.

the chassis was straight thankfully but needed the airbag sensor replaced to start it and Renault took ****ing ages with it :worried:

I needed a new sill, door, front wing and a few wheels.

I had unknowingly over insured it so they fixed it (at the time it was insured for 12k)

No picture I'm afraid, adam. Too dark at the time.

Like you, the car wouldn't start. The starter motor turned over but no ignition. Good to know that's a safety feature and not a sign or more severe engine damage.

One last thing, do the Recaros have built in airbags down the side of them? If they do, they didn't go off in this instance. Only curtain bags this time. Surely a positive thing, right?

The car cuts off fuel supply to the engine in a crash, normally just need to press a hidden button to reset it.

The recaros do have side airbags and thats an expensive fix if they go off!

I blew a curtain, drivers side seat bag, belt pretensioners and front bags in a 07 astra, hit a wombat... and a tree... and another 3 trees then landed on my roof after going down a 5m sheer drop... It was definitely written off

Update: The car was a write off. Impact taken up mostly on the passenger side A-pillar so the chasis was twisted. Repairable but not economical. Gutted.

To be honest, given that damage i can understand why the curtain airbags deployed so id say they were doing their job. It looks like the car took a BIG impact and the point of impact was on the passenger side.

Looking at that i'd say the curtain airbag was the least of your problems.