cup non cup differences

spoke to a few peole and cant get an accurate answer, basically i havent the budget for a brand spanker 200 or a 1 year old 197 ;(

im having to settle for a 56 reg low mileage jobby :smile:

but........... 2 iv got my eyes on, ones a non cup but within budget and ones an f1 spec but there 2.75k difference

im not fussy for 'resale' value ano the f1 will hold better.. but...

is there a better option out there for suspension i.e coilies?
or can cup suspension be bought from renault for a semi respectable price?

and what other differences are thee between non cup and cup

sorry if these are all amature questions but you 'as owners' will know the exact specs of the cars and seeming what im spedning is 3 tiems more + pricier than any car iv bought i wnat to get whats right :smile: first time round but not breaking the bank

The cup chassis is 7mm lower and around 30% stiffer than the non cup chassis and you can tell the difference. A car with a cup chassis will have red BREMBO calipers - be wary of people spraying them red ! Coilovers are an option but as I have cup chassis I didnt really feel the need for them. The standard cup chassis is excellent as it is !

Welcome by the way :smile:

Forgot to say - the wheels are silver on non cup cars and anthracite grey on cup cars :wink:

yer i know the difference to look at...luckily :smile: i herd there a differnt ratio steering rack on the cup? this true or not so true? or is the chasiss setup puerly down to stiffened springs and dampers on the 197's

all i was thinking was keeping my options open and maybe replacing a non cup chassis with cup dampers and springs or possibly a quality set of coilovers to get the ride and handling of a cup..... so i could buy a non cup/ non f1 spec 197 without initially braking the bank :smile: and then further upgrad at a later date

does anyone know or have a rough price on how much cup shocks and springs would set me back? lol sorry to myther you all

all f1s have cup packs, and was an option very late 57-08 i believe. So the reg will be a giveaway. Grey wheels, red calipers.

yer had noticed there were no 'cup' packed cars on the 56/07 reg's, except the f1 of course, just unsure if to spend a lil more to get an 1 or just find a nice mint non cup no f1 and equip it withnew and fresh cup suspension

You can buy the cup springs on eBay, they pop up every now and again for about £60. As for the difference between the cup and non cup, it's hardly noticable!