Cup chassis

Karl_F

Gold Member
Hi, I'm possibly looking at getting either a 197 or 200 as a track toy, and although the cup chassis is desirable, is it essential, or would I be better off with a few suspension/brake mods?

Aside the stiffer chassis I believe the cups have lower / firmer suspension, no A/C and a quicker steering rack! Someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

ive not driven a non cup 200 or 197 so couldn't tell you how different they handle! Like most things brake pads/ susp and brake hoses are generally the main things to upgrade

I'm same as Beany in that I haven't driven a non-cup 197, however I don't believe it's a night and day difference between the two. Cup would be desirable, but if you find a good example of a non-cup, then you can go with mods to fine-tune it to your tastes.

Aside the stiffer chassis I believe the cups have lower / firmer suspension, no A/C and a quicker steering rack! Someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

ive not driven a non cup 200 or 197 so couldn't tell you how different they handle! Like most things brake pads/ susp and brake hoses are generally the main things to upgrade

The cup model is the less equipped version, but to get a normal 197 (so with options like climate, folding mirrors etc etc) with a cup chassis you would need to get an R27. The faster steering rack didn't come until the 200.

The standard 197 is still good, and it's still quite a harsh ride (less so than the cup) but depends what you want out the car. You'd probably be happy with the standard car, but if it were my money looking at 197s it'd be an R27.

if you aim to use it as a track car then a cup chassis would be a better option...stiffer suspension,lighter and generaly more track focused...

what i would do is to get a standard 197 and replaced a few things..
suspension
brakes
brake lines
brake fluid
pads
some new powerflex bushes
exhaust and remap..

Thanks for the replies. I decided to put a deposit down on a white 2009 200 with cup chassis, cam belts recently done and only 21k miles.