Crunching TL4.........*NOW WITH POSSIBLE BETTER SYNCHRO RINGS!!

Dropped off my box last night, Marks a top guy even though he’s super busy, he has already split my box and discovered I have a Quaife diff!

He showed me how easily these synchros can wear with a Stanley knife too!

Hopefully these modified synchros are the answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Took 6 minutes to get the box open and all out on the bench. Lol

Gearbox collected.... Should hopefully have the box fitted early part of next week.

Will report back as soon as I can!

Reactions: FatRS
how do we know these syncors are better/ stronger?

how much you charge ? assuming we need to send you the box and you send it back?

how much you charge ? assuming we need to send you the box and you send it back?
I’m guessing as a gearbox bloke he knows what he has hassles with and doesn’t...

and he did say if they don’t pan out he will then rebuild the box with normal bits foc, so it’s a bit of an experiment and an unknown also

Tbh the revs and power of the 197/200 doesn’t help synchros as gear shift is faster rpm wise than a dirty diesel for example which is relatively sedentary

Reactions: Northloopcup

I’ve been around boxes for quite some time now mate, so you get a feel for what’s good and what’s not. When you can remove the coating easily of the original synchro rings with a Stanley blade, I think it’s safe to say that they’re not really the best are they!

I charge £285 to rebuild the box with the different synchros supplied and fitted in the box. If it needs any other parts, that’s extra on top (unusual that they do though tbf). I’m happy for the box to be couriered to me, but shipping it back will be whatever the cost of shipping is. Easiest way is either drop it off and collect, or arrange the shipping for its return back to you.

I also know that these synchros I’ve now fitted can be improved for better oil supply, thus increasing their lifespan.

I always bang on about how important decent spec oil is in these boxes, and also frequent oil changes. In a race car the oils are dropped after every race - so why the fuck do we do k’s of miles on the same oil after it’s been given a shit kicking on track and on the road?! You wouldn’t treat the engine the same way would you?! Gear oil needs to be treated as a consumable.

Sorry @Dmonk197 that rants ^^^ not aimed at you! Lol!

I’ve been around boxes for quite some time now mate, so you get a feel for what’s good and what’s not. When you can remove the coating easily of the original synchro rings with a Stanley blade, I think it’s safe to say that they’re not really the best are they!

Having seen this first hand, you would not believe that its actually like a hot knife through butter!

I always bang on about how important decent spec oil is in these boxes, and also frequent oil changes. In a race car the oils are dropped after every race - so why the fuck do we do k’s of miles on the same oil after it’s been given a shit kicking on track and on the road?! You wouldn’t treat the engine the same way would you?! Gear oil needs to be treated as a consumable.

The gearbox oil @Northloopcup recommended is nice and thick, ideal for track driving. The gear changing even from cold seems absolutely fine.

I can not recommend @Northloopcup enough for his gearbox knowledge and rebuilding skills! he knows a lot about all the Clio gearboxes.

He also turned around my box rebuild in pretty much 3 days in the middle of the week!

Only issue for me is he lives over 180 miles away from me!

Having seen this first hand, you would not believe that its actually like a hot knife through butter!

The gearbox oil @Northloopcup recommended is nice and thick, ideal for track driving. The gear changing even from cold seems absolutely fine.

I can not recommend @Northloopcup enough for his gearbox knowledge and rebuilding skills! he knows a lot about all the Clio gearboxes.

He also turned around my box rebuild in pretty much 3 days in the middle of the week!

Only issue for me is he lives over 180 miles away from me!
Thank you mate, very kind words.

Reactions: wootwoot