200: Crunch/Grind from rear

RossWoods93

Cuckmeister General
Platinum Member
Just curious about a crunch/grind noise that lasted about 20 minutes today that's got me all confused!

When pulling away/stop at very slow speeds there seemed to be a crunching sound coming from the rear!
It would do it as I rolled off the clutch (no revs) and also coming to a stop without applying any breaking (noise coming in between 3-0mph)

The sounds gone now annoyingly as I was hoping to get it looked at which is typical!

Any ideas of what it could have been?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sticking rear pads?

I've just driving 60 miles back from my parents, literally fine until a roundabout in bury town, a real scraping sound coming from the rear! Annoying at the fact it's intermittent!

Might have to take it into the garage and get them to check rear brakes

+1 for the brakes. Is check these before anything else. Jack the car up and try and turn the wheels, see what they feel/sound like.

Thanks Chris and Peter!

It didn't miss a beat on its way into work today, I'm coming up to a service soon so I'll monitor how it goes!

Get them to service your brakes at the same time, I got it done every 6 months on my 197, was only about £20. They strip and grease them.

Wild stab in the dark here, but could it be that something got caught in the wheels, i.e. a branch etc?? Maybe at low speeds it dropped and was catching?

I only mention that because I went over a small branch/long twig by accident the other night, it got caught and the sound was pretty horrible!

I thought maybe a stone getting wedged between the discs or something... Either way it sounded like bodywork being dragged along the floor! I've given the wheel a pretty good inspection but I've booked in for a "Free" spring health check Renault are offering on Friday, so I'll see what the outcome is once they've given it a good inspection!

Theres a way to reset the Windows, irrc you hold the button one way for a while. Check out the how to section, I think it's in there.

Thanks Peter! I managed to find this one another forum! All seems sorted though, booked in for a check at Renault on Friday but it's been fine the last couple of days! Only difference is about 15kg less weight in the boot from carting stuff between mine and then parents!!

I'll be sure to keep posted on the outcome of Friday!

Just had my free Spring check done at Rawlinsons and nothing to report!

Cars been due an oil change so I've got them to do that! I'm now thinking it was due to the excess weight I was carrying in the boot causes such noises!

Good service by Rawlinsons Renault, they even sent me a video working on my vehicle!

https://video.citnow.com/vtLklwBLZlb

Got a fresh set of Contisport contact 5's going on the front tomorrow, so my mind can finally be at rest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice Ross, you been catching flies?

All these backroads Chris, inconsiderate flies should move out the way! :wink:

She'll be having a deep clense tomorrow! Could have probably done an oil change myself, but I don't have the equipment to do it in Bury... Shall see what Rawlinsons quote me for that job when I pick it up at lunch!

Good stuff, glad to hear there was nothing wrong with the car :smile: always reassuring when you get news like that!