Coolant hose split… go silicone?

Hi guys,

Day 5 of owning a track prepped 197, I’ve just had a coolant hose burst on me whilst out on a drive. It was the supply or return for the heater matrix I’m sure.

Is this a common thing and does anyone have any recommendations to buy silicone hose kits?

Cheers

Cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you run silicone, make sure you add your coolant to the list of fluids to routinely check. Silicone has a higher rate of permeation than rubber, so you will have to top it up every so often.

Cheers guys, yeah I was just thinking it was bad luck having a split hose, new standard hose is £27 and a forge kit is £300. Hard toss up [emoji23]

Cheers guys, yeah I was just thinking it was bad luck having a split hose, new standard hose is £27 and a forge kit is £300. Hard toss up [emoji23]

I'd personally go for OEM, think how long it's lasted and you don't know if some monkey has damaged it before you, especially the price difference! If it was a lot closer then definitely go silicone (I know the Forge one will be a whole kit), but that's a massive difference!

Many people on here track their Clios and run OEM hoses fine (including all range of engine specs)

Reactions: Frank Perry
I'd personally go for OEM, think how long it's lasted and you don't know if some monkey has damaged it before you, especially the price difference! If it was a lot closer then definitely go silicone (I know the Forge one will be a whole kit), but that's a massive difference!

Many people on here track their Clios and run OEM hoses fine (including all range of engine specs)

Top man, I did think it was a rare thing to have happened! Just ordered a new hose from Renault, delivery time is a joke but it’s from France! Cheers for the reply buddy [emoji106]

Reactions: suj