coolant bleed points

I get good heat and the gauge doesn't fluctuate whatsoever so I don't think it's a matrix problem. I actually think it's stuck northbound of the thermostat. Which is why I'm surprised that when I bled the system with screw right by the 'stat and topped up the coolant again, it just drunk it.

well that sounds like you have coolant flow!

are you sure the thermostat is fitted correctly and not somehow stuck shut?

dont forget the new stat is lot hotter than the old one so the coolant will get quite hot before it opens and allows coolant flow!

run the engine with heater on full heat and full speed and check the pipes getting hot etc to and from the matrix

watch the guage and as long as it doesnt fluctuate then it should be ok

feel the top hose for hot coolant flow in to the radiator... if its gone through a couple of warm up cycles then it could have
bleed most of the air out

I'm just concerned as I've topped that reservoir up at least 3 times now, albeit drained once. What's the fluid capacity that should take?

I'm just concerned as I've topped that reservoir up at least 3 times now, albeit drained once. What's the fluid capacity that should take?

approx 5ltrs - thats what mine took when i did a coolant change - theres always a small amount trapped in the engine block if you dont drain that

Rouge - when i did mine i know to bleed the system and after a few days i had to top up the expansion tank - a week later i had to top it up again (only a tiny bit) and it has been at max since even though i still didn't bleed it.
I removed the exp tank cap when the engine was hot (very slowly) and this could have helped bleed the air out?
My gauge sits perfectly central and heaters are toasty

Cheers Robby.

I took the car out for a spin today, and all the pipes seemed hot which suggests flow. I'll keep an eye on the coolant. I feel like i've just had to put an excessive amount in considering what came out when I replaced the thermostat.