coolant bleed points

Can u not bleed the system with just taking the coolant cap off?

depends if air is trapped in the heater matrix - the bleed point is there to get rid of it - it might bleed air out it might not - might do it all through the thermostat bleed point

Tried to do this again today.

The screw just turns and turns. The thermostat housing gets roasting hot and the fan isn't kicking in so I assume I have an airblock in the pipe somewhere.

Any idea's what to do with this screw? It seems to be the only issue

Tried to do this again today.

The screw just turns and turns. The thermostat housing gets roasting hot and the fan isn't kicking in so I assume I have an airblock in the pipe somewhere.

Any idea's what to do with this screw? It seems to be the only issue

have you tried using the thermostat bleed point - open it and run the engine with the expansion cap off - top up as required and see if it bleeds the air through that

I have indeed. I did that last time and got nothing do I undone the thermostat housing and lost about 2 litres of water down the engine bay. So I know it's there, but it's storing it somewhere.

its either a replacement pipe with new bleed point or can you get to the end of the pipe and un-clamp it and let it bleed the air through that if you know what i mean - and try to move the air to an area that perhaps will bleed back to the expansion tank?

I think a new pipe is going to have to be the way forward.

Frikkin pain in the backside. I've not traced the pipe down so I hope it isn't hard to get too.

shall I assume the car isn't really safe to drive even if I leave the heat on full blast?

I think a new pipe is going to have to be the way forward.

Frikkin pain in the backside. I've not traced the pipe down so I hope it isn't hard to get too.

shall I assume the car isn't really safe to drive even if I leave the heat on full blast?

well if the air is trapped in the heater matrix it will be cold/interior blower cold

also watch the temperature guage as if air is present and its causing issues the guage will play up and fluctuate

with air trapped in the cooling system you can get poor coolant flow and hot spots that can cause localised overheating etc - this can cause items like head gaskets to fail etc

it does take awhile for the fan to cut in on the 197

I get good heat and the gauge doesn't fluctuate whatsoever so I don't think it's a matrix problem. I actually think it's stuck northbound of the thermostat. Which is why I'm surprised that when I bled the system with screw right by the 'stat and topped up the coolant again, it just drunk it.