Conversion time

Pav

Hi lads,

thought we could put together a thread where we all would share our experience with our megane conversion..this would be beneficial for us,existing megged clio owners,as well as for others who think of doing theirs..
In the past few months,there have been an upraise of these and i found that some of the issues I was experiencing,have never been reported or experienced..
so what ever your problem may have been in the past,dont hesitate to put it down here to be shared with every body else....
I may start this with describing some of mine:

1. overheating issues (in my case,fan polarity was wrong-fan blowing the wrong way round)

2. make sure you get a right ECU as there are many for sale,which will not work..must be a 2006 onward or EURO 4( I think) correct me if im wrong..

3. drive shaft fitment..some new type of driveshafts have a diff fitment into the wheel hub..

4. my keyless entry stopped working for some unknown reason..still didnt get to the bottom of it..

5. I also recommend replacing your injectors as soon as you can as they tend to break down

Hope some people find this useful before their conversion commences..

So if have anything to share,please feel free to do so,will be greatly appreciated..

Pav

Last edited:
Using the Clio upper engine mount allows the use of the Clio timing belt cover.
I used megane driveshafts at the gearbox end, mated to clio shafts at the hub end.
Standard Clio fuel pump is good for 310bhp when using 630cc injectors.
Clio sports cat and cat-back exhaust (2.5") can be used but you'll need a reducer to fit it to your megane link pipe (either 2.75" or 3"). This will restrict power though to around 275-280bhp.
Standard megane 225 con-rods are good for around 300 lb/ft torque, although many have lasted no problem with as much as 340 lb/ft. ARP rods bolts help a little, but are not the definitive answer - forged internals, or a megane 250 bottom end are.
Megane gear linkages are required. I believe a short-shift kit stops the mechanism hitting/rubbing, but not sure as I fitted it first time so no idea what it's like without.
Standard 225 turbocharger is good for around 280bhp, anything more requires a 250 unit, good for around 320bhp, or a hybrid.

Reactions: ///M, peter and Pav
I used megane driveshafts at the gearbox end, mated to clio shafts at the hub end.

Megane gear linkages are required. I believe a short-shift kit stops the mechanism hitting/rubbing, but not sure as I fitted it first time so no idea what it's like without.
did the same with the driveshafts..
same with the short shifter..

Short shifter is needed to use existing gaiter and surround I believe.
Move the radiator forward on custom brackets if you can. Makes a world of difference to cooling.
Get a phase 2 Megane 2006 onwards donor vehicle.
Use an R26 gearbox it has a LSD

Reactions: Pav and Sean197
Short shifter is needed to use existing gaiter and surround I believe.
Move the radiator forward on custom brackets if you can. Makes a world of difference to cooling.
Get a phase 2 Megane 2006 onwards donor vehicle.
Use an R26 gearbox it has a LSD

Interesting re. the radiator - speaking to Paul at RS Tuning I was told the Clio rad is fine - I used the Clio rad and temps never saw above 92degrees, even on track.

Interesting re. the radiator - speaking to Paul at RS Tuning I was told the Clio rad is fine - I used the Clio rad and temps never saw above 92degrees, even on track.
Used the Megane rad on mine Sean and fan hasn’t kicked in with needle rock steady on 2nd mark. Lots of different combos by the sound of it

yeah i think it all depends on lots of factors but glad there were not issues with using a clio rad..

I’m using the Clio rad, no issues on track either though I also have a low temp thermostat

That’s the one. Just runs slightly cooler some of the time. Took a kicking at oulton park this week with no temp issues

Hi all.
Having trouble with the elctrics part of our conversion.
We are following this write up, found in Fiat forums via Google, but it does mention this site. It's from 2012. http://forums.puntomk2.co.uk/showthread.php?33428-Megane-225-230-Engine-Conversion-into-clio

Everythoing going reasonably, come to the electrics and we are in trouble. The Clio plugs looked like what the write up said, but the Megane ones bear little if any relation to it.

Here are the three diagrams for the Megane plugs taken from that site:
wiring1.jpg wiring2.jpg
wiring3.jpg Now here is what we have:
img003.jpg
Please can anyone help/offer advice etc?
Thanks.

Hi all.
We are following this write up, found in Fiat forums via Google, but it does mention this site. It's from 2012. http://forums.puntomk2.co.uk/showthread.php?33428-Megane-225-230-Engine-Conversion-into-clio

Everythoing going reasonably, come to the electrics and we are in trouble. The Clio plugs looked like what the write up said, but the Megane ones bear little if any relation to it.

View attachment 117747 View attachment 117748
View attachment 117749 Now here is what we have:
View attachment 117750
Thanks.

@trevor milnes - any advice?

It’s straight forward enough. Trace the wires on the Clio loom using a multimeter and find the corresponding wires on the Megane loom, then cut and rejoin as appropriate.

If your struggling message me

Hi all.

View attachment 117747 View attachment 117748
View attachment 117749 Now here is what we have:
View attachment 117750
Thanks.
I can adapt the looms to suit for you if you send them by post to me

PM'd you.
It looks like we have the wrong ecu? And loom? Supposed to have been a phase 2 engine but looks like it's a phase 1. Sigh. Renparts.
If I post ecu codes, can anyone identify and say if it will work? No use me taking Trevor up on nhis offer if we have the wrong stuff.

I wish it would be legal do megane swap here in my country b) some company would do it for money.
I would be interested, but Finland rules are so fun. You can tune your car max 20% more power. Even chipping turbo car is illegal. #iwantmovesomewherewarm

Reactions: Johnny 99
I wish it would be legal do megane swap here in my country b) some company would do it for money.
I would be interested, but Finland rules are so fun. You can tune your car max 20% more power. Even chipping turbo car is illegal. #iwantmovesomewherewarm
I love your hashtag! Finland does have very strict driving regulations, but it is a place I very much want to visit. I'd love to take the ferry across from Sweden in the winter months to experience a Finnish winter.

Similar Thread Suggestions