Continental<Hankook

That braking test do not tell anything about the tyre overall performance. Maybe i test hankook next, but fact is that you spoil performance car with budget tyres to spare 208€ / set.

This model ? 67£ in camskill each:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s15p..._HANKOOK_K_110_V12_EVO_-_215_45R17_91Y_XL_TL_

Yes but that's the whole point. I would never put budget tyres on my car. The Hankooks, going by a lot of good reviews are very close in performance to the Continentals. The fact that they cost a lot less is just a bonus.

It also could be argued that the Hankooks are not by definition cheap, its the leading brands that are overpriced. Its not uncommon for consumer brands to price fix the market so they all enjoy healthier margins. These manufacturers rely on the consumers psychological expectation that a quality product must cost more.

Its interesting to note that most tyre companies form partnerships with each other such as Michelin/Hankook and Yokahama and Continental also have a joint venture to fullfil their OE demands, both of these companies have also joined forces with bridgestone in promoting different run flat tyres.

On top of this these tyre companies also have stakes in the budget brands. Bridgestone has ownership control of Nokian and all of the top brands including continental hold shares in almost all of the high street tyre
fitters and these, unfortunately research shows that when a tyre manufacture has equity in a tyre fitter like National tyres, that brand of tyre is more often than not at a higher price than elsewhere.

Anoraks can get more details here..... http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ciVi1cppW88C&printsec=frontcover&output=html_text

Last edited:
I only have experiance of hankook on my other car but it's a good one.

I normally use toyo 888's on my track car but was looking for a more road focused tyre for when the car was used on the road and to use on track when wet.

The toyo's are around £100 each (195 50x15) but the hankooks were £59 each.

The hankooks are fantastic on the road and very good on track, more of a road based tyre, they have softer side walls than the 888's but not too soft as to fold under when cornering, a little more squeal but overall a great tyre, better than the goodyear F1's i'd used before for same purpose.

These were the hankook RS2's which were aimed at a performance market but definatly not a 'budget' tyre.

I've got to change the two front tyres on my 200, just this morning I was looking for Conti 5's but now I'm not sure......

Can anyone tell me if there will be any significant problems moving my Conti'3 from the rear to the front (still have loads of tread left) and running the Hankooks on the rear until the Conti's run out (my missus has just left me after 8 years so I've been doing alot of angry driving lol)

I know your not meant to mix tyres across a single axel, but 2 different brands on the front a rear should be ok shouldnt it?

p.s I have a trackday in May also, different tyres wont cause a problem for that??

I'm in a similar position. Fronts need replacing rears don't. Plan was to replace fronts with another set of CSC 3s and switch with the rears. Best price for two delivered is £224. I'm prepared to spend that as I know tyres are not to be messed with. However, if Hankooks get a good write up, it doesn't make sense to pay extra for the Continentals.

That my thoughts exactly aspen, paying extra just for the brand is just silly but its the risk of the unknown that puts most people off including my self.

theederv, cant see a problem with that. Its not like you are putting a budget brand on.

Update. Well that's me had the Hankook v12's on for a few days now and I wanted to wait until the first wet day before posting.
In the dry I could feel no difference to the Continentals. Ride felt a bit harder with the cup chassis, but that may be down to a slightly higher pressure all round when fitted.
Went out on a back road today and gave it a hard drive as it was wet. Now it's hard to compare as my Continentals were on or below the 3mm mark and I certainly could feel the car moving about when cornering and slipping badly on a fast standing start.
Hankooks felt instantly better. No wondering on the turns and a far better grip on launch.
So as I said its hard to compare as you would have to fit new Continentals again to feel the difference.
ok they do not get as good a review as the Continentals but do agree with the reviews that they perform very close overall.
At £65+ per tyre to £100+ for the Continentals, it's quite a saving. Had the money and planned to fit Continental Sport Contact 5's but seriously thought "do I have to spend all that cash"
Time will tell. Will post again after 6 months of usage but at the moment, it's a big thumbs up.

im running slightly lower tyre pressures than what renault recommend on the contis as the v12 have a harder tyre wall, which i heard off someone from here. i found and also you will that the v12 dont wear as much as the contis, my last contis wore on the outer side of the front tyres due to cornering, and was noticable after a few months, my v12 are coming upto a year old with a fair few thousand miles on and they still look new.

I only have experiance of hankook on my other car but it's a good one.

I normally use toyo 888's on my track car but was looking for a more road focused tyre for when the car was used on the road and to use on track when wet.

The toyo's are around £100 each (195 50x15) but the hankooks were £59 each.

The hankooks are fantastic on the road and very good on track, more of a road based tyre, they have softer side walls than the 888's but not too soft as to fold under when cornering, a little more squeal but overall a great tyre, better than the goodyear F1's i'd used before for same purpose.

These were the hankook RS2's which were aimed at a performance market but definatly not a 'budget' tyre.

these are what i run :thumbsup: