Coilovers and salt?

Hello.
I'm getting ready to install new belts and WP. At the same time I will change brake fluid, transmission fluid and an engine heater for those cold mornings. Quite a few parts will come off for this and since I need to do the alignment I'm considering just going all in and lowering it at the same time. I'm on standard suspension. I don't want it sitting much more than about 20mm lower than stock as the roads get pretty rough.

I need decent ride quality as this really is my DD. I prefer the rear wheel drive car in the summer, but who says I can't have fun in the off season and on the commute with the Clio? (mostly on wet roads, sometimes on snow).

I am considering Eibachs and new 200 cup dampers, or a second hand coilover kit if I can find one.

How are the various coilower kits holding up? Our roads are heavily salted during winter. Do they salt yours as well? Can coilowers cope with this kind of abuse?

Last edited:
KW do an Inox line which is stainless steel so doesnt rust.

I ran some H&Rs that arent SS and they did show up some corrosion after not too long on the car.

Thanks. I agree with the theory on the Inox line, but the perches are aluminium and salt a catalyst. I worry about galvanic corrosion. I would think the salt will cause the aluminium perches to become anodes and potentially eaten away?

UPDATE: It seems the perches are actually plastic, which makes sense. Can anyone confirm this?

I also worry about the adjustment screw on the bottom of the shock body. Is this not very exposed to corrosion?

Last edited:
I was just offered a set of new eibachs for €120 ex VAT. I think I will go for those and the 200 cup dampers. I just realized how bad it will be if the Clio outperforms the Porsche 951 I have been working on for four years straight:smile: