Coil bolts, help please.....

Liam Gunby

Paid Member
Hi all,

So the 4 pencil coils, (ontop of the plugs for people who wernt sure) does any body know what bolt it is?
Thread ect.....

Basically i changed my plugs, tightened the coil back down with the dephasor solinoid bit and it went loose again.... its stripped some of the threads from the rocker cover basically. Luckily is a blind hole so i can do something about it but if anyone has some thoughts to the bolt, thread size that would be brill.

Thank you!

M6x1.0

I have done the same (someone before was super heavy handed and tightened it way too much).
One I got away with a longer bolt to activate the lower threads, another was too far gone, so I helicoiled it (bag of piss to do, just awkward due to space), I am going to do the other one that has a longer bolt in it currently, just for my own peace of mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxspeed
I’ve just had this problem today. Hoping to try a longer bolt to see if it will hold it, otherwise I’ll be going down the helicoil route

Reactions: suj
When I was after longer bolts they were too long, so I used a combination of nuts and washers on the top to make it the right length.

Also if you do helicoil depending on which cylinder needs doing, it might be easier taking off the inlet to gain access (it's really easy to take off the top half of the inlet).

Reactions: thunderstarter
Thanks for the tips. It’s the coil nearest to the oil filler cap that’s the issue. The one which also holds a sensor with the same bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: suj
Cylinder 4, same one that went on mine! Access for that is a lot better, taken out the VVT solenoid (this is the sensor you talk about) and block up the hole you don't want any metal filings getting anywhere near that! Also do same for the spark plug hole once you remove the coil pack.
I did it with inlet in place when I helicoiled it.

Reactions: thunderstarter