CNC parts ideas

l33th3tr33

Paid Member
Hey guys, I've recently started a new job with access to a lathe, milling machine and a fancy CNC machine, my question is what parts could I make? I'm already looking at making some caliper pins (for myself, I don't want to step on any toes) possibly an alarm bracket and a maf bracket (with a different design). Does anyone have any ideas for other things to make?
Providing things go well I could knock a batch up for forum members as well.

New shifting lever on the TL4 gearbox, with second shaft for second bearing(bushing) and some support that will hold it. Lever is originally supporter only by shitty KU bushing pressed in the gearbox housing and it starts to wobble after few thousands miles and it hinders shifting performance. :smile:
1689707374393.png

New shifting lever on the TL4 gearbox, with second shaft for second bearing(bushing) and some support that will hold it. Lever is originally supporter only by shitty KU bushing pressed in the gearbox housing and it starts to wobble after few thousands miles and it hinders shifting performance. :smile:
View attachment 155022
If someone is able to donate a scrap box I could look into that!

Something that would allow a cup steering rack to be lowered further than the stock threads would allow. I have 10mm spacers but I’d like to lower it another 5-10mm. Haven’t thought through how you’d do it.

Reactions: Tarticmonkey
Something that would allow a cup steering rack to be lowered further than the stock threads would allow. I have 10mm spacers but I’d like to lower it another 5-10mm. Haven’t thought through how you’d do it.
I have a spare gearbox casing
I'm not sure what's different between the standard and cup steering rack but I'll have a dig about and see if I can think of something.

Where abouts are you? I'm in Devon.

Yorkshire
Sorry I meant steering column, not steering rack
ah, quite a bit away. I'll have a look at mine next time I've got the battery tray out and see if I can figure something out.

Sorry I knew you meant the column, just couldn't think of the name at the time! I remember having to bend a tab out of the way to lower mine on my old 197 (might be in my project thread) as that was what limited mine. I think it was just a movement limiter iirc. You may be better off just bending the tab and adding a few washers if that's what's stopping you going lower. Do you have a pic of the spacers you've used and where you've put them?

Yeah I spaced mine further by placing a few washers above the overpriced threaded washer, you can improve the angle as well by only spacing the two closest to the wheel.

Reactions: R20BTG
I'll look into all of these, if anyone has a scrap ball joint they'd like to donate I could knock something up.

Caliper spacers I'd need some dimensions if anyone can get me some and I could get them drawn up.

Even better, if anyone has a set of those ball joint tools they'd be happy to lend me to measure or measure for me then I could make a direct copy, or possibly improve the design.

I can lend you my modified Sealey SX027 tool if you want, but it’s probably excessive to CNC one of those when buying the tool for £12 and machining it out on a lathe will get the same results. Up to you?

I can lend you my modified Sealey SX027 tool if you want, but it’s probably excessive to CNC one of those when buying the tool for £12 and machining it out on a lathe will get the same results. Up to you?
Oh, if they're that cheap then it's probably not worth the material cost.

Yeah I spaced mine further by placing a few washers above the overpriced threaded washer, you can improve the angle as well by only spacing the two closest to the wheel.
Wish I thought of this at the time lol I spaced both down, then put an extender on the steering wheel to bring it closer. But because of the angle, bringing it closer also made it a little higher again :/

View attachment 155022
Do you by happenstance know if this bushing can be replaced with a reasonable amount of work?
I have a replacement gearbox after the original broke on the track and the new one shifts like shit. My Original one was absolutely perfect.

Do you by happenstance know if this bushing can be replaced with a reasonable amount of work?
I have a replacement gearbox after the original broke on the track and the new one shifts like shit. My Original one was absolutely perfect.
To my knowledge it cannot, because it is pressed in right into the housing. Do you have any play there?