Clutch Dragging????

Not posted on here as I've been struggling with my 09 RS200 cup since purchased 4 months ago. I've just had a new gearbox fitted by Renault due to crunching 4th gear. This was a month ago and have covered around 700 miles. From the get go the box was crunching and notchy from cold so drove it thinking it was new and needed to bed in. No change at the moment still and Renault seem to think there's no issues on test drives. They've stated the clutch was also checked during the box replacement. Doing research about causes of gearbox crunching I found out about clutch dragging. This seems to make sense as when the car is warm it feels as though the clutch is slightly engaging making it kangeroo while pulling away at round abouts and during acceleration. Anyway one test was to park your car on a flat road, put in gear, keep clutch in with handbrake off and then rev the car near red line. Apparently the car should only move just before the rev limiter but mine is lurching forward between 5-6k revving. is this normal for the rs200? The new box is crunching when driving over 4k revs and when changing at about 2k, it won't let me in 2nd gear sometimes for at least 2 seconds. Is the clutch dragging and could be causing crunching /notchy gear changes?

Cheers.

I don't get any issues with the gears crunching at the moment but I have owned the car about a year now and it is sometimes difficult to get into gear and high revs (near or at the limiter). There is also sometimes a graunching noise if that makes sense when depressing the clutch quickly and going for the next gear like the clutch or clutch plate is catching slightly.

Ive just lived with it even though I think it probably needs a new clutch and pressure plate, might even be the slave cylinder thats the issue, not sure.

Never had any issues with the gearbox in my 197 in three years, including about 7/8 trackdays. But, I did have an issue with the clutch in that one of the fingers sheered from the pressure plate which made a nice mess of the bell housing and put several holes through it. It also managed to take a couple of teeth off the flywheel with it.

The strange thing is though, that even when it was like this, the clutch action itself felt normal and the gears were engaging freely without any grinding or crunching. There wasn't even any rattling or vibrating from the clutch either!!! About six months after I had this, somebody else on here suffered a similar failure, to my knowledge these are the only two so far to have any sort of clutch failure. So whilst it isn't common as such, it has happened before...

It's going into Renault Monday, again! Just trying to see if anyone else's 200 creeps forward when revving when in gear and the clutch held in so I can say clutch dragging could be a cause. Other then this I Don't know what to do as I'm paranoid the synchros are slowly being killed :worried:

might be clutch but the new box sounds like its faulty....should still be a clean change with clutch drag on a healthy gearbox...once on the move!

Oh well back to Renault so it can be left overnight as that's when it's crunchy/notchy. My car randomly decided to idle at 2k rpm again at lunch!

It is possible that the fingers on the pressure plate have lost there spring that makes them release the clutch, this can be caused by sitting at the lights with the clutch in, and in gear. There can be loads of meat on the clutch plate, but the clutch does not disengage properly as the pressure plate does not move far enough. I have known cars with 6000 city miles on with knackered pressure plates, as well as caned cars. If a lot of heat is generated in the pressure plate this can do the fingers in as well.

There are a lot of boxes being replaced, but my dealer has hinted that a lot of the problems are down to linkage alignment and setup, which seems plausible as a lot of cars are on there 3 or 4th box, but if the linkage is not right, the problem will go from box to box, I find it hard to believe that you can get 4 bad boxes in a row, it has to be something else. I'm not having a pop, just this needs looking at more closely. I too have a tight box and will be looking at this closer.

It is possible that the fingers on the pressure plate have lost there spring that makes them release the clutch, this can be caused by sitting at the lights with the clutch in, and in gear. There can be loads of meat on the clutch plate, but the clutch does not disengage properly as the pressure plate does not move far enough. I have known cars with 6000 city miles on with knackered pressure plates, as well as caned cars. If a lot of heat is generated in the pressure plate this can do the fingers in as well.

There are a lot of boxes being replaced, but my dealer has hinted that a lot of the problems are down to linkage alignment and setup, which seems plausible as a lot of cars are on there 3 or 4th box, but if the linkage is not right, the problem will go from box to box, I find it hard to believe that you can get 4 bad boxes in a row, it has to be something else. I'm not having a pop, just this needs looking at more closely. I too have a tight box and will be looking at this closer.

exactly what adjustment are they "hinting" at???? the cross gate and forward/reverse gate are not adjustable...on the box...

Mine started crunching on the down shifts to 3rd numerous times when i got the car. Been 4 months now and it now never does just because Ive started to rev match mainly when decelerating from 70mph. I would say its synchros for sure in your case!!

Not sure Foxy, mine had a whole new linkage fitted, which helped initially but, getting into 1st and reverse is now back to how it was, without looking at it myself, I can't comment, I not sure if it's cables or rods, without crawling under. If the box/engine is moving though when trying to force it into gear it may not help, comments greatly received though.

Not sure Foxy, mine had a whole new linkage fitted, which helped initially but, getting into 1st and reverse is now back to how it was, without looking at it myself, I can't comment, I not sure if it's cables or rods, without crawling under. If the box/engine is moving though when trying to force it into gear it may not help, comments greatly received though.

can only think cables and/or might be lower end of gear lever then in the interior

the cables move with the box as such so shouldn't effect the actual change of gear

What I will say is that the quality of my gearshift greatly improved during spirited driving after fitting an uprated dogbone mount.

Must admit that a couple of times now it's struggled to go into reverse first thing in the morning and I could of sworn it crept forward slightly as I put the car into first at the traffics lights tonight before dropping the car off. Got a slow but nice new Clio coutsey car with Sat and leather seats!

And the results are in and Renault say there's no fault pmsl. Gonna sell it after owner it 4 months. My 172 and 182's were never like this!

Bit of a thread revival here. Mines doing the exact same thing it seems.

Think it's probably best to strip the box off, as a couple of times on track I've struggled for 5th gear when right up towards the limiter