Clio RS F1 Facelift of Not

Good day to all.

I am a new member hoping to be a new owner of a Clio RS F1 edition.

I would like to ask the following:

I am interested in buying the attached 2nd hand Renault Clio RS F1 edition.

Understand from the vehicle's license that the S/N of the car is VF1CR1N0640370719.

You will see from the photo that the car is the facelift which we understand has came into production in early 2009; however, subject car was first registered in Greece in Nov 2008

The Seller assures me that the car is a genuine F1 facelift edition, but we are advised by a local dealer that the F1 special edition was never produced for the facelift models.

Given the above we logically assume that either the car is an F1 edition, albeit not the facelift so the Seller must have changed all the necessary parts in order the car to look as a facelift one (front bumper, RPM display, rims etc), or Renault did actually produce a few facelift F1 edition cars something which the dealer here may not be aware of.

The car has the numbering plate under the handbreak (no 2358).

Could you please help me in order to clarify what is going on?

Thanks a lot
Nikos

Attachments

• clio4.jpg
    clio4.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 100
  • clio1.jpg
    clio1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 105
  • clio2.jpg
    clio2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 105
Looks like a Clio RS200 to me though the front blade should be black like the trim around it. The stickers can be got easily of ebay and the plate could have come off a crashed one.

Very odd. There was never an F1/R27 in the 200 shape, it was only on the 197, so the dealer is right. As Paddy says, it's possible that the seller has obtained all the bits needed to make it look like a 200, but it seems a lot of trouble to go to...

And if that is what the seller has done, why not just be honest about it instead of trying to convince you it's a genuine 200.

They went to a lot of trouble with the 200 dials and steering.

I'd say it is the pre-facelift because it still has the old style badge on the back.

Seems a bit dodgy. Can you not phone up Renault to find out what the car is, by giving them the VIN? That's probably your best bet. Or try a numberplate search online to see what it lists the car as? Either way though I would be suspicious that the owner is not being completely truthful..

That's a 200 steering wheel too. The 197's had a red band. A 200 diffuser aswell.

The old badge came on the first 200's

Do you have pictures of the front and rear seats?

That's a 200 steering wheel too. The 197's had a red band. A 200 diffuser aswell.

The old badge came on the first 200's

Do you have pictures of the front and rear seats?

no, but i can tell you that the front seats are Recaro (black with slight yellow) whereas the back seats are black with a very small side part of white colour. Everything looks as if it is the facelift. RPM gauge is yellow, the middle part (where the cd is) is darker than the 197HP model too.

no, but i can tell you that the front seats are Recaro (black with slight yellow) whereas the back seats are black with a very small side part of white colour. Everything looks as if it is the facelift. RPM gauge is yellow, the middle part (where the cd is) is darker than the 197HP model too.

That's normal for cars with Recaro seats, not matching the rear bench. It's sounding more like an early 200 with a few stickers than a 197. All those 'small' things cost a lot of money to buy.

Also the rear lights are different, they look like the base model lights as the 200 kept the same rears as the 197 as there are no reflectors in the bumper.

Last edited:
Renault dealer can print off the cars full spec from the factory, even down to the type of carpet fitted. I would get that. They should do it free of charge.

Isn't there a guy on renaultsport.co.uk than can tell you what each numbered F1 relates too? Or am I making that up?

Just looks like a 200 to me with a sticker on the bumper and someones put a plaque in.

iirc, with the decals you couldn't specify which you want, it was all or nothing. So I would assume that as it has no roof or side/front decals it's not an F1. - Besides, never heard of a "Facelift F1".

This also has the later front RS badge which isn't easy to attach which means something was changed.

Ahh I see that, it is difficult to fit! You need a large bracket behind just to fit a small badge! I fitted one but just used a screw and tiger seal, dealer could of done the same. This car seems very dodgey and to be honest I'd stay clear unless it was going cheap!

given the mish mash of parts, it's probably been through a hedge backwards, personally I'd look at another, it's not like these are rare cars or difficult to find in good condition really.