Clio mk3 dry sump system Fit

Digitaldaz

Paid Member
hi All I’m looking in to fitting new engine out of formula 3 car with dry sump system as blew mine last week at Mallory 1st track Day. Got carried away hot day
got few questions if anyone could point me in right direction
would it be straight fit
wheres best to fit oil tank eg size tank etc I haven’t got clue
could do with as much info as possible please.
thanks Darren

Reactions: cliokam
Would personally consider selling it, putting a standard wet sump on, and pocketing the cash. I've never heard of oil starvation issues on road or track MK3's. In about 20 trackways with my car, throwing it around like a rag doll, never had any pressure issues. Dry sump install might be more trouble than it's worth, plus won't it rob you of a few hp to run the pump?

Sorry, that might not be the answer you wanted.

Reactions: Digitaldaz
Would personally consider selling it, putting a standard wet sump on, and pocketing the cash. I've never heard of oil starvation issues on road or track MK3's. In about 20 trackways with my car, throwing it around like a rag doll, never had any pressure issues. Dry sump install might be more trouble than it's worth, plus won't it rob you of a few hp to run the pump?

Sorry, that might not be the answer you wanted.
Thanks sounds easier way

The formula 3 cars run race ignition and I would say the cams are different is there a chance the car will need a lot of out and out mapping to run etc. is it not easier getting a standard engine with overhaul/upgrades

Oh dear just my luck
Having a great day was of to Holland next week another 2k gone

Last edited:
It'll be a formula renault 2.0 F4R 832 engine with 210bhp, rather than an f3 engine which is a v6 mechachrome unit.
You'll need it mapping to get it run as with that power figure I'd imagine at the very least the cams are different.

That’s going to take a bit of work to get running in your car.
Look at the crank sensor pickup behind where the pulley would usually be. Looks like it’s had a stand-alone ECU running it.

Yeah it's an Oreca Formula Renault 2.0 engine. 2k for that is a bargain, if you've bought it try sending rs tuning an email and see what they could do with it on your car, or flog it on somewhere like racecarsdirect.com and make some money.

Reactions: Digitaldaz
ok hopefully I’m picking it up tomorrow I’ll see if can get fitted I’ll give rs tuning a call I do remapping but not live maps so way out of my league
ive spoken to a few garages and they think it should be fine Maby stand alone ecu not sure.
just want it running again had a great track day got the bug. but so much to learn
got to find best place to mount oil tank.

It looks more like the equivelant of a 172/183 era F4r spot the fuel rail on the lower inlet manifold and the can phaser. The 197/200 equivelant f4r from a formula Renault for example would have the same inlet manifold as the road car with a bend to move the throttle body in line with the air inlet. Would need standalone management or a lot of parts changed over to work with standard ecu and wouldn’t be suprised if a standard f4r 832 made better power. Depends if it’s a sealed standard unit or if it’s had cams etc.

Dry sump is interesting though wonder how that affects the gearbox mounting and if you could lower the engine any when using it.

Last edited:
Also I think the 197/200 gearbox might not match up to that block without some work. If it was my money unless I had some evidence that engine actually had cams etc and made more than 190-200bhp I’d save my money and just get an f4r 832, otherwise you could spend the cost of the engine again getting it running to find it not better than a standard engine