CLIO CUP Problems 2008

Ive had to take my 16,000 mile (July two thousand and eight registered) Clio Cup to the Stealer for warranty work, as yet I dont know what their response will be if im covered on it all. 1 former keeper, full renault history, serviced 2k miles ago.

Problems:

1. Recaro seat, totalling ripped on the bolster and side of seat!
2. Steering wheel (top part) melted a little
3. Throttle pedal sticking
4. Oil leak (looks from top of engine maybe rocker)
5. Gearbox/Engine noise - sounds like a slight bearing I dont know where from but it goes when the clutch is depressed!
6. Headlight cracked from rubbing on bumper
7. Glovebox not closing correctly

I reported these to Renault UK this morning, the guy claimed these were unusal...I said thats not what Ive heard from the forums pal!

If anyone has had any similar problems could you please list the stealer you had the work done at under warranty and what date? It would be really helpful...and if you had to contact Renault UK etc.

I think it would be useful to document these things as the seat wearing issue alone is a total joke!!

Thanks!!

Jamie:uk:

Last edited:
Ive had to take my 16,000 mile (July two thousand and eight registered) Clio Cup to the Stealer for warranty work, as yet I dont know what their response will be if im covered on it all. 1 former keeper, full renault history, serviced 2k miles ago.

Problems:

1. Recaro seat, totalling ripped on the bolster and side of seat! - very common failure
2. Steering wheel (top part) melted a little - been a few reports on here
3. Throttle pedal sticking - not heard this one
4. Oil leak (looks from top of engine maybe rocker) - common been a few on here
5. Gearbox/Engine noise - sounds like a slight bearing I dont know where from but it goes when the clutch is depressed! - plenty of gearboxes breaking !
6. Headlight cracked from rubbing on bumper - not heard that one
7. Glovebox not closing correctly - common fault

I reported these to Renault UK this morning, the guy claimed these were unusal...I said thats not what Ive heard from the forums pal!

If anyone has had any similar problems could you please list the stealer you had the work done at under warranty and what date? It would be really helpful...and if you had to contact Renault UK etc.

I think it would be useful to document these things as the seat wearing issue alone is a total joke!!

Thanks!!

plenty of common faults/failures there !

plenty of common faults/failures there !

Thanks pal! Appreciate the advice.

If anyone could list the garage they went to and an approx date that would be really useful!

Stunning looking car, just a shame about some of the problems...seems to be a bit slow on acceleration, flat spot maybe...ive highlighted it hope it gets sorted!

Problems:

1. Recaro seat, totalling ripped on the bolster and side of seat!
2. Steering wheel (top part) melted a little
3. Throttle pedal sticking
4. Oil leak (looks from top of engine maybe rocker)
5. Gearbox/Engine noise - sounds like a slight bearing I dont know where from but it goes when the clutch is depressed!
6. Headlight cracked from rubbing on bumper
7. Glovebox not closing correctly

Thanks!!

The dealer has taken photographs and sent off to Renault UK.

The cam cover was leaking so they say.

With regard to the gearbox/engine noise. As it goes when the clutch is depressed they want me to 'authorise' them to take it apart to inspect. If its clutch related they 'claim' it will not be warranty item.

I have to disagree with that as firstly the clutch is fine, having done some research it may be a gearbox or release bearing issue. As the car has only done 16k miles I am horrified to hear Renault bark the words 'authorise'!

I have to say guys that this is the first Renault ive owned, most had BMWs and Audis and the cars are definitely not built to last.

I will keep everyone informed of the outcome and fingers crossed I get a good result!

Thanks for your supportive responses.

The dealer has taken photographs and sent off to Renault UK.

The cam cover was leaking so they say.

With regard to the gearbox/engine noise. As it goes when the clutch is depressed they want me to 'authorise' them to take it apart to inspect. If its clutch related they 'claim' it will not be warranty item.

I have to disagree with that as firstly the clutch is fine, having done some research it may be a gearbox or release bearing issue. As the car has only done 16k miles I am horrified to hear Renault bark the words 'authorise'!

I have to say guys that this is the first Renault ive owned, most had BMWs and Audis and the cars are definitely not built to last.

I will keep everyone informed of the outcome and fingers crossed I get a good result!

Thanks for your supportive responses.

clutch parts still have to be "free of manufacturing defects" - so if its faulty its warranty - only if its due to fair wear and tear will you have to pay - remind them of that one and also ask to see the faulty parts if they get funny about it !

Just to update, thanks god to have some good news.

I couldnt believe it when Renault said to me, sure no problem yes we can replace the following FOC!

Front Recaros seats
Steering Wheel
Glovebox
Cam cover was leaking - replacing
Headlamp cracked - theyre coming back to me on.

Major relief. Even the service manager at Renault said he was surprised they came back so quick to me.

So hats off to them so far! Im told it may take upto 2 weeks for the parts to come in.

I still have the obstacle of the gearbox noise, as long as they dont try to palm it off as the clutch then I should be all good.

Will keep everyone posted and upload some pictures of the worn items when it stops raining!

Joke isnt it - i rang them about leaking cam cover and split rubbers where the door closes - told me they were unusual faults :whatever:

I mean, dont they think people discuss these things on internet forums?! Pretty much an insult to our intelligence IMO.

Glad they came through for you, my car was 3 weeks out of warranty with 40k on the clock and they didnt want to know :ban:

Joke isnt it - i rang them about leaking cam cover and split rubbers where the door closes - told me they were unusual faults :whatever:

I mean, dont they think people discuss these things on internet forums?! Pretty much an insult to our intelligence IMO.

Glad they came through for you, my car was 3 weeks out of warranty with 40k on the clock and they didnt want to know :ban:

Sorry to hear that pal.

Im not home and dry yet tho with this gearbox and headlamp issue. If I can get those sorted the car will be as new.

I fear the previous owner was a bit of a 'chav'.

Cam cover should be too expensive and door rubbers, could be a lot worse!

What you think to the renaultsport front splitter and side skirts? Good or bad?

Renault UK initially said theyd never heard of such problems, but then quickly agreed to resolve. Very bizarre!

It seemed to help stating that this was my 'first renault'. They wanted my first experience of the company to be a good one.. to be fair so far so good, although Im not sure if 18k justifies the car new. If they could modify the interior and give it more power it could be a classic.