Clio Alternative - ITR CTR VXR Ideas?

sandbagsniper

Paid Member
I am looking at spending 8-10k on another car to have alongside our 197. I have a diesel vectra which I no longer need for towing(my old track car). Ideally the car will be chuckable like the clio, safe, modern, good handling and about as quick as the clio(at this rate I will end up with a second 197/200). More comfort/ lower revs on the motorway would be helpful.
Any suggestions or experience?

I am very drawn to DC5 Integras.
Also -
Civic Type R(more grown up clio?)
R26(maybe too good to be fun)
Mk1 Focus RS,
The usual :Mk5 GTI, Astra VXR, Focus ST.

I don’t want an MPS, corsa VXR or another diesel.

Speed isn’t everything, I’ve done the scary fast Subaru thing and I want something fun, that I can track.

I've got a mk6 GTI which is pretty much a mk5 and its an excellent every day car and can be good fun when you start pushin on too

Much easier to live with and drive fast than the clio but not as much fun, not as much of a drivers car etc bu on a daily basis is better than a clio

I'm lucky to have a seat altea as our workhorse/family/shopping car, the GTI as my every day (non supermarket) car and my clio for track days and B roads.

A long run in the clio (with recaro) kills me but the GTI eats the miles in comfort but can be fun when you want it too and the low down torque is effortless.

Again not a laugh like be clio but a really good car.

Depends on what you want but having driven The old and new CTR I always found they're overrated to be honest. It's also too close to the clio as you say.

You mentioned safety and the integra doesn't really cut it by modern standards.

I would say a GTI or a focus ST

My penny's worth, I'd agree focus st very comfortable and with a quick remap 300 HP, and you still get 30 mpg on the motorway. I've had 2 neither gave me any issues I'd go for st3 in red or silver least common colours or an older version the st500 maybe.

Megane r26, if you crash it on track, you can drop the lump in the clio. Lol

Out of everything you have listed I'd say a dc5, love the looks and quicker than the Clio and handles just as well, or a Clio 1*2 Cheap and cheap to run

interesting post
on the day I picked the r27 clio I bought from a garage that had several cars i was interested in and I drove them all including -
Focus ST
Megane 230 F1?
Golf GTI mk6
Civic Type R newer shape
Astra VXR

All personal taste and boring to read/list all my reasons buy got it down to the Civic - ST - and clio Clio just put the biggest smile on my face in other words I bought with my heart over my head :thumbsup:

I used to own a integra DC5 and its FANTASTIC
only sold it as a work move - 87 mile travel per day!
Build quallity on inside (like all honda even new civic isnt great) and its reasonable hard to get an unmodified one - I say that specifically around exhaust systems, if you like it loud then your okay otherwise almost all systems that are found on these cars make your ears bleed! I even had a police visit due to the noise mine created on my drive!
the only reason I didnt get another one is coz They are a lot of money for an 8-13 year old car and I wanted some more mod cons.
I would have another without doubt, they look great and they have a massive boot.

I'd go with the Mk1 Focus RS. Try and get a well looked after standard model and it should last well. They're great cars (general opinion), they're fast, capable and also hold their value VERY well. Pretty much all the options you've listed are slower/of similar speed and will lose you money. There's tons of mods for them, and very simple cosmetic stuff makes them look amazing.

I also really like DC5 'Tegs so that would be my second choice, though it won't be as torque'y as the Focus.

I'm still stuck with this. I had a brillant drive in the (wifes)clio yesterday and still, I want it(or similar) as my main car.
If I could have a clio which was -
-less buzzy/revvy on the motorway at normal speed
-More stable when cruising on the motorway
I would jump at it.

Does the DC5 handle as well as a 197/200? For pure grin factor, the Clio is hard to beat.
After looking into the safety side of things, they are comparable to EP3 so 4*.
My Budget is closer to £12k and cars are now narrowed to:
1.DC5
2.FN2 Type R
3.Another Clio 197/200
4.R26
5.Mk1 RS
6.Focus ST
They are in this order today. Tomorrow, It'll all change no doubt. NA FTW, just not straight line speed, economy,in gear accel, CO2 etc....Lol

I'm still stuck with this. I had a brillant drive in the (wifes)clio yesterday and still, I want it(or similar) as my main car.
If I could have a clio which was -
-less buzzy/revvy on the motorway at normal speed
-More stable when cruising on the motorway
I would jump at it.

Does the DC5 handle as well as a 197/200? For pure grin factor, the Clio is hard to beat.
After looking into the safety side of things, they are comparable to EP3 so 4*.
My Budget is closer to £12k and cars are now narrowed to:
1.DC5
2.FN2 Type R
3.Another Clio 197/200
4.R26
5.Mk1 RS
6.Focus ST
They are in this order today. Tomorrow, It'll all change no doubt. NA FTW, just not straight line speed, economy,in gear accel, CO2 etc....Lol

I owned an FN2 Great car suspension is hard and seats are small ( for a big lad like me) exhaust is a little quiet as well but i really like the interior and when in Vtec great fun.

But if it was my money i would look at the DC5 they hold there money well and very rare car the only issue is the seats and suspension are very hard but when in vtec they pull like a monster they handle very well,

To be honest all the cars in the list are great motors and i dont think you will do bad wiht any of them :thumbsup:

Last edited:
have you tried a r26 megane yet, good handle cars, not as nibble as the clio, but still not bad and not as revvy as the clio

Test drove an R26 when we bought the clio. It was silver(not nice in that colour in my opinion) and a bit rough. Clio suited the wife better.
I loved the feel, it was confidence inspiring. I just wonder how well it is screwed together - 6 years on. I reckon whatever comes up near me in my shortlist deserves a test drive. Trying not to keep extending my budget as RS250s are on the radar too!
Insurance in all the cars for me £320-£380 except Integra which is nearer £700. Not the end of the world but I'll keep it in mind(can insure an Evo8 for that).

Oh, I'm not a good enough driver to exploit RWD. Owned an RX8-great in the dry, I was a girl in the wet.
My Impreza Type R was rear bias with the diff open and it used to lose the back end often. I swear I can do the same b road faster in the 197 than my old impreza(could do 0-60 in 4.2 and quarter mile in 12.8@111).