Clio 200 v Golf edition 30

A few weeks into Clio 200 ownership and I have decided I bought the right car.

The Clio was a far nicer car and place to be than first thought, [I was expecting French trim issues] but I think it’s a great place to be and the car is always encouraging you to really drive it or attack a roundabout.

It is a proper hot hatch that loves to be driven and driven quickly.

Things I have noticed, it’s not as quick as I thought it would be even when you ring its neck

Its extremely firm [Cup pack] but not crashy or unpleasant

It grips so hard and can be driven very aggressively and never feels like it will catch you out and the brakes are very very powerful even after lots of high speed stops.

The Clio goes about being a hot hatch in the opposite way to our golf, the golf is undoubtedly quicker in the real world and would have the Clio licked for cross country pass because it has the ability to cover ground so quickly without the driver needing to be on it, but only ever feels like you can push it to seven tenths were as the Clio always feels busy and encourages you to brake later lean on it harder and rev it out in every gear.

I guess the difference is the golf has more all round ability but doesn’t feel special like the Clio and isn’t a driver focused car.

Which is better, the Golf but which do i prefer the Clio, i guess its not all about out right speed but how a car makes you feel. I love the Golf but never get out smiling like i do in the Clio

Attachments

• 123456.jpg
    123456.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 130
I do a few track days a year so it will defiantly get a few outings.

To be honest it was one of the reasons I went for one as a friend has a 197 which is a great road car and performed really well on track too.

Also looking forward to having a drive of silverstone in a friends Clio Cup racer this summer, be nice to see how it feels with a full sequental box and track set up.

I do a few track days a year so it will defiantly get a few outings.

To be honest it was one of the reasons I went for one as a friend has a 197 which is a great road car and performed really well on track too.

Also looking forward to having a drive of silverstone in a friends Clio Cup racer this summer, be nice to see how it feels with a full sequental box and track set up.

The Clio puts up much better on track, drive it properly and you'll usually want to pit before it will :wink:

Brothers got an Ed30 and they do make a good road car. BUT! they don't handle anything like the 200.

Totally disagree about the 'on tack' comments about the ED30, had one new in 2007, soon became tuned to Revo stage 2+ spec 370bhp and KW v3's, was on track against quite a few 197's at a track day at croft.

How can I put this being I now own a 200 and I'm on a clio forum . . . . Erm the difference was night and day! Seemed to be over taking clios all day - and I know there was a slight power difference, but on croft I wouldn't say power is a huge advantage

Edition 30's hang on very well and whilst they are not as 'focused' a track car as the clio, with the KWs they are a weapon on track!

Just my 2p worth lol

Totally disagree about the 'on tack' comments about the ED30, had one new in 2007, soon became tuned to Revo stage 2+ spec 370bhp and KW v3's, was on track against quite a few 197's at a track day at croft.

So a car with twice the power and £1k or so of suspension over another is faster.... Others were probably thinking of standard(ish) cars.

p.s. Croft is full of straits!

Last edited:
Yeah but if you've done any amount of time on track, it's not really about power. I'm just saying with the same focused suspension set up the ed30 chassis is just as good!

I have a 200 cup and having got out of an Exige s to get into it, I honestly don't think they are as good handling a car as people make out. Brakes are good and they are very easy to drive in anger - but there not all that!

Yeah but if you've done any amount of time on track, it's not really about power. I'm just saying with the same focused suspension set up the ed30 chassis is just as good!

I have a 200 cup and having got out of an Exige s to get into it, I honestly don't think they are as good handling a car as people make out. Brakes are good and they are very easy to drive in anger - but there not all that!

True it's not all about power but then again the golf doesn't handle so badly in comparison, so with twice the power of course it'd be faster. If you've done any time on track you'd know basing comparison on track days itself is useless anyway as it has so much to do with her driver as well.

Add another 170bhp and suspension to the 197/200 and then it'd possibly be a comparison worth mentioning, otherwise as standard one is a good road car and the other a better track car.

Well it's funny you should say that. . . because mine is having just that in the next few weeks, megane 265 engine with a few tweaks!

Welcome to the site, looks like MK7 GTI will be my next car.

OP, I'm guessing your car wasn't standard if it was quicker than the 200?
My 200 is quicker than my friends standard MK6 GTI in a straight line. Driving the Golf does feel quicker but side by side 'racing' the Clio wins.