clio 200 and 197 difference

Stephenvenning

Gold Member
Am i right in thinking that the only difference between a 200 and 197 in 3 more bhp, front bumper and rear splitter? So i could just change that and hey presto a 200T

Shorter ratios in 1st 2nd and 3rd, quicker steering rack on cupped cars, stiffer suspension on cupped cars (stiffer than a197 cup)

non on cupped cars have softer suspension than standard 197's

looks wise its the front bumper, wing mirrors, headlights, wheels and diffuser, the front wings may be slightly different aswell im not sure.
you'd have to change a bit more than that to get a 200T though :wink:

May aswell post it here as its sort of related.. My 200 is a FF Cup so does that mean I have the standard or cup steering rack?

May aswell post it here as its sort of related.. My 200 is a FF Cup so does that mean I have the standard or cup steering rack?

Pretty sure it means you have the cup one because the 'cup pack' gives you the chassis, stiffer/lower suspension, steering rack etc

looks wise its the front bumper, wing mirrors, headlights, wheels and diffuser, the front wings may be slightly different aswell im not sure.
you'd have to change a bit more than that to get a 200T though :wink:

Ah got you, not much difference still though, ha. No sorry didn't mean the 200T, I'm not a fan of it anyway, the renault badge is too big!

Went over quick yesterday because Rosie wanted to go to Ann Summer :wink: (to try on a bra...) and i wanted to go to All saints. Would have asked you/Megan but just suddenly decided to go

It's alright, Megan works Saturdays anyway and I was helping Nigel replace some guys BMW handbrake.

Few minor interior differences too. Recaros in the 200 had yellow flecks in them compared to the grey in the 197.

Cup suspension on the 200 is 30% softer than the F1 suspension from the 197 if I remember correctly.
The quicker steering rack was also built in the 197.

Cup suspension on the 200 is 30% softer than the F1 suspension from the 197 if I remember correctly.
The quicker steering rack was also built in the 197.

I'm fairly certain that the suspension in the R27 (which I think you mean when you say F1) was exactly the same as all 197s with the cup chassis and that the 200s suspension is 12% stiffer. A 200 with the cup chassis is the stiffest Clio to roll out of Dieppe yet.

Stiffest To Softest...

200 Cup (or Cup Pack cars)
197 Cup (inc. R27)

There's about 10-15% between each one so basically a 200 Cup is around 30% stiffer in spring/damping terms than the base 200. The 200 Cup (and Cup Pack fitted cars) has a thicker front ARB and quicker rack than the base 200. As far as I can remember, the 197 and 197 Cup (all versions, R27, Cup Pack etc.) have the same ARB and steering rack as each other. The shell and fundamentals of the chassis are the same for all Mk.3 cars, so when people say "stiffer" what they mean is the springs or/and dampers rather than the shell/chassis itself...

Renaultsport wanted to soften the base 200 to appease those who thought the base 197 was "too stiff" and they wanted to make the 200 Cup slightly more extreme (Cup and Cup Pack cars are also known as "Extreme" on the Renaultsport parts systems) to appease the more hardcore following. And for the record all Brembo's are the same spec' regardless of them being painted or unpainted, that old chestnut usually pops up once the "stiffness" conversation gets going!!!

Hope that helps!!! :smiley: