Clio 197

I had an r27 and the gearbox went 3 times in 30k miles iv now got an ed30 and love it but would still have the clioif I never had any problems with gearboxes at the time :bye2:

and on the flip side I have a 200 that's got 70K on the clock, the last 3k has been with a Meg engine putting nearly 300bhp and 300lb torque through the gearbox and its never missed beat.

Hello Will and welcome to the club.

You had an 182 in the past so I won't say a thing regarding how hardcore these cars are in comparison to your civilised golf:smile:
Expect a thirsty engine, no power/torque at the low revs (below 4k), silly ratios (to help keeping the engine on the boil for the above mentioned reason) and rattling. As a bonus you get no tuning options unless you have deep pockets!

If you are willing to live with the above then the 197/200 is a magnificent drivers car and a bargain for what it is! A small cheap hatchback with an excellent chassis.

Btw I'm sure you'll hear stories about faults, break downs etc, do not allow them to put you off. All cars have problems, it's not only the Clio!! Yes they have been cases with gearboxes and engines not delivering the 197bhp and steering racks and melting steering wheels and bubbling tailgates and slave cylinders and whatever. It's luck, like every single car out there...

Good luck with the search:smile:
Who drives below 4k after 1st gear anyway :innocent:

Of all the horror stories I still think the gearbox is like with any higher performance car, luck of the draw *TOUCH WOOD*. I wouldn't let it put you off, I read the horror stories on here before choosing mine and it didn't bother me. I would definitely suggest looking an R27 F1 of your changing from a golf so you get the new gear ratios or an early 200.
Had mine 3 months now and it always puts a smile on my face.