Clio 197 Pitfalls

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and was just wondering what the common pitfalls were for a 197 clio. I'm looking to buy one in the Autumn (probably around October time). I'm currently driving a Laguna DCi which has been a fantastic workhorse. I start my new job in September which is in spitting distance of home, so fuel is no longer much of an issue. Any help, views and opinions would be very warmly received.

Cheers, Adam

Oh, and my budget is sub £4500 ideally. If you've got a Clio 197 that you're selling (or thinking of selling) then be sure to contact me on here.

Gearbox 3rd and 4th crunching, I'd be very wary of it when buying one in the that price bracket. Just make sure belts and services have been done correctly and you should be good

As a worse case scenario, how much is a recon gearbox? Obviously I'll aim to avoid buying a lemon in the first place! Thanks for your responses guys.

Drain holes underneath scuttle panel are rubbish leading to blockages commonly occuring which in turn can damage the electrics and land you with a hefty bill.

Excluding the minor faults other than the above i would also check engine mounts, when loose they might lead to manifold crack, and check cambelt has been replaced on time.