Clio 197 Exhaust Noises

Hi all,

Hoping you could help, my clio 58000 miles 08 plate has started making some loud blowing/rattling noises when accelerating or even pressing the accelerator standstill.

The noise is sort of a rattling blowing sort of noise and i was wondering what this could be? Looking through the forums it appears it could be a manifold issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

It does sound like the flexis on the manifold. Do you have a video you could put up?

be careful when doing this, but when the car is cold , start the engine and from the engine bay you will be able to reach down the rear of the engine and feel around the flexi area for blowing, it helps if you have someone who can rev the engine slightly at the same time.

also check your exhaust heat shield under the car and all joins along the exhaust for blows. Keep the engine running whilst doing this and you may see water dripping out of the area which is a tell tale sign it is blowing.

I will try and get a video later when i finish work and upload, it seems to be noisier when the car is cold. Do you have any idea how much this will cost to fix if it is a problem with the flexis? I dont really have any idea what i am talking about so you two have helped massively :tongueout:

I will try and get a video later when i finish work and upload, it seems to be noisier when the car is cold. Do you have any idea how much this will cost to fix if it is a problem with the flexis? I dont really have any idea what i am talking about so you two have helped massively :tongueout:

Its about 5/600 quid -

the removal of the manifold & refitment is labour intensive

plus the cost of a second hand manifold or new one from toyosport is about £200

The 4 most expensive jobs on a 197

dephaser
steering rack
gearbox
flexis on manifold

Damn, exactly what I have.

Does it HAVE to be fixed?

Depends how long you can put up with the noise, you could also get an advisory on MOT dependant on how bad / audiable the blow is.

A lower cost option (apart from the labour of removal / refitting) would be to get the current flexis cut out and replacement items welded back in, this way you remove the cost of having to buy a second manifold.

I'm hopefully getting a second hand manifold fitted to my car on Friday. Think garage said it was about 5 hours labour?

Mine is horrific, it sounds like a harley davidson motorbike at the moment. And it feels alot slower so i am definitely getting it looked at ASAP.

I messaged K-tec and they have said that is 293.50£ +VAT to fit their manifold which i didnt think was too bad..

Mine is horrific, it sounds like a harley davidson motorbike at the moment. And it feels alot slower so i am definitely getting it looked at ASAP.

I messaged K-tec and they have said that is 293.50£ +VAT to fit their manifold which i didnt think was too bad..

Are you sure that price is correct? I thought their manifold on its own was circa £500?? Let alone the labour/fitting cost...

Yeah i just emailed them to confirm that as i thought it was pretty cheap, turns out that is the fitting cost and the actual manifold itself is £499+ VAT

So pretty pricey!

I think he was referring too if i had bought my own manifold they would be able to replace it for the old one for 293.50£ + VAT

I think he was referring too if i had bought my own manifold they would be able to replace it for the old one for 293.50£ + VAT

Ah that makes more sense, guessing it's something like 5-6 hours labour so "standard" £50 per hour odd.

I'm in for a similar figure for clutch replacement (labour only) which is a similarly lengthy job :worried:

Ahhhh thought it was too good to be true.

Steve that's a fair price also, do you fit them and if so what's total price please?