Cleaning Throttle Body - help

CallorFold

Platinum Member
Planned to have a go at cleaning the throttle body today - (there's a guide in the How To Section, but it shows Thread cannot be found :worried: )

Removed rubber pipe and could see it was quite dirty, however I couldn't open the valve?

Admittedly I only gave it a small prod with my finger as didn't want to do any damage etc.

Should you just be able to press it open so you can clean properly inside?

Do you need to, or is it worth disconnecting the electrical clip?

attachment.php

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpg
    image1 (1).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Get a 10mm and 8mm socket and remove the body entirely. Then clean it in a bench

Is it necessary to remove it from the car? I was hoping to just leave it on.... it's easy enough to get to, just opening the valve that didn't seem too straight forward

Its best to remove it. I wouldn't want to spray anything down the intake manifold. You going to have to brush the dirt off

Its best to remove it. I wouldn't want to spray anything down the intake manifold. You going to have to brush the dirt off

I've got some Wynns injector/throttle cleaner so I think it's safe to spray - it just evaporates. You can spray it down the air intake with the engine running and revving the throttle, but I'm not sure it'll do such a good job as getting a rag on it and cleaning properly.

(This stuff: http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tr...ynns-fuel-injection-carburettor-cleaner-500ml - had it left over from my old car)

You dont need to worry about removing it, its just 4 bolts, infact id say its more of a pain in the ass removing the induction hose lol.

I did mine in situ , the electrical connector was being stubborn and I didn't want to break anything. Just try and remove the dirt rather than push it further into the inlet , an old microfiber helps.

And yeah the flap rotates on the central bar.

I did mine in situ , the electrical connector was being stubborn and I didn't want to break anything. Just try and remove the dirt rather than push it further into the inlet , an old microfiber helps.

And yeah the flap rotates on the central bar.

Sorted now thanks :smile: just went out and gave it another try. The flap was just a little stiffer than expected. Used Wynns Injector/Throttle cleaner to spray onto microfibre then wiped over - it seemed to do the trick.

Car took longer than normal to start the first time but that's expected in my experience with the Wynns cleaner but then fired and idled nicely. Job jobbed :smile: