Checking Lower Link and Engine Stabiliser Bars

Hi Guys,

Got an annoying knock coming from the car when lifting off the throttle so I want to check the two following culprits. I've checked the Upper Stabiliser bar before and it had a bit of play in it so I'm hoping its just that one thats knackered.

I know both parts are fairly cheap so I'm going to check them both and replace if necessary.

So... Whats the best way to check them, grab 'em both and just give them a wiggle? Should there be much/any play in them at all?

Any advice/part numbers/pics of the offending parts would be helpful. I'll take my own pics/videos of the parts when I get at them tonight.

Also any tips on replacing them would be handy too (things like if/where to support the engine when changing them or specific tools required etc).

Thanks a mil

Rob :smile:

(note:I'll keep this thread updated as/when I do the parts and maybe a 'How To' if its worth it)

I had the exact same problem, knock when lifting off, had the top stabiliser replaced under warranty and has cured it :smile:

You won't need to support the engine for either of the stabilisers you've mentioned.

I have the same noise, I think its the top one on mine as the rubber has completely seperated from the rest of it!

Looking at it the upper one will require the scuttle panel to be removed, but other than that it's a couple of bolts. The lower one will just be 2 bolts also I would imagine.

For the top one, you can fix it with a good blob of Tiger Seal. I did this with mine, I won't take any pictures because it was a rush job and it's a little messy but turned out well.
I did it in-situ by removing the bolt that attaches to the head and loosening the bolt under the scuttle panel, then swing the stabiliser bar out and apply a good dollop of your chosen polyurethane adhesive to the bush. Be sure to force it into all of the small crevices between the rubber bush and metal housing.
Allow 24h to cure, and enjoy!

As for the bottom one, remove the undertray and it's 2 bolts. If you follow the Renault repair method, they say to remove the subframe stiffener but it's not needed - there's a hole in it to access the bolt.

Brilliant, cheers X82, your a star. Had a look at it just now, I've got a fair bit of side to side movement in the upper bar and a little backwards and forwards, with a bit of force I can cause it to knock a little, I can also see the rubber is coming away from it a little.

I couldn't get in at the lower bar as my parking space is on a slope, tried to jack the car on to stands but it just twists the jack :worried:

Ok, so just to confirm, this is the Lower Bar we're all on about? I've checked this, there doesn't seem to be any real wear or play in it and all the rubbers are intact.

IMG_0799_zps2e5fc74a.jpg
IMG_0798_zps6482e845.jpg

And these are the bolts you undo to get it out (first two)...
IMG_0800_zpsfe4b699c.jpg

Ok, so just to confirm, this is the Lower Bar we're all on about? I've checked this, there doesn't seem to be any real wear or play in it and all the rubbers are intact.

IMG_0799_zps2e5fc74a.jpg
IMG_0798_zps6482e845.jpg

And these are the bolts you undo to get it out (first two)...
IMG_0800_zpsfe4b699c.jpg

thats the one :jase2:

thats the one :jase2:

Woo, I did something right :bounce:.

I'm going to bung up the top one as a trouble shooting method, if it fixes/improves the problem I'll make a decision to buy the top bar (if its not completely fixed, or comes back after a while).

If that's not it I'm not sure, as like I said theres no play in the bottom one. If I'm honest the knock has been there a while, so it could always get left till the next time its in the garage getting my pants pulled down for a stamp in a book :smiley:

Woo, I did something right :bounce:.

I'm going to bung up the top one as a trouble shooting method, if it fixes/improves the problem I'll make a decision to buy the top bar (if its not completely fixed, or comes back after a while).

If that's not it I'm not sure, as like I said theres no play in the bottom one. If I'm honest the knock has been there a while, so it could always get left till the next time its in the garage getting my pants pulled down for a stamp in a book :smiley:

i have changed my lower one for the uprated (k-tec)one - bit more vibration but a lot less engine movement

So which are the ones which need replacing to avoid having manifold cracks?

easiest and cheapest is the lower one changed to the k-tec uprated one approx £110 and about 30mins to change

if you fit the full set of uprated k-tec mounts the upper bulkhead one isnt needed!