Cheap moped advice??

Were having some long term major roadroads locally which is making my commute near on impossible. So decided a cheap scooter would be ideal, my commute is only about 7 miles so a 50cc would be fine. And I can drive it on my car licence as I passed before 2001.

Checked out the insurance to be well under £100, and road tax only £15 for the year it seems ideal.

For how much use it's going to get I'd want to spend as little as possible, but not too little that I'm likely to run into problems.

Does anyone have any advice on what to buy or what to avoid? And what to look out for when viewing them?

I don't know the first thing about bikes lol

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated! :smiley:

Pretty standard stuff really, check any chains/gearing for serious wear, check the tyres for tread.

Check the oil has been changed at some point or if its a two stroke they usually have a seperate tank for two stroke oil so you can check that's actually got something in it.

Make sure it starts and be a bit weary if the bikes already warm, try to make sure they start from cold (as you often will be needing it to).

Two strokes shouldn't smoke but will smell more than a 4 stroke.