Changing handbrake cable

Just changed the rear brake pads and discs on the 197, and after lots of cursing and headscatching as to why the off-side rear caliber would not wind in I noticed that the handbrake was sticking on. So now have to replace the handbrake cable. Does anyone know if this is an easy to do job, looks simple to change at the rear but have not managed to have a look under the car to see the handbrake end and how it is connected there. Needs to be done in the next few weeks before the MOT runs out and have already spent a small fortune on the car with a recent service and rear brakes so would rather do it myself again to save myself a bit of money
Any advice would be appreciated.
:thumbup1:

Bit Stange mate but I had the exact same problem thursday night when I changed my rear pads. Like you, thought it might be a pig of a job but it didn’t take very long at all in the end.

Take the big bit of plastic that surrounds the handbrake off, undo the adjustment nut as much as it will go then the cable should pop out of the of the holder (easier to explain when you see it). The cable is held in place with a small ring where it enters the car, pop this off and it should be free now.

The cable its self is held in with two or three clips under the car, pop the cable out of them and you should be able to pull the cable out from inside the car. Remove the cable from the rear calliper, there’s a small piece of metal on the axel that the cable passes through pull it thought that and repeat the process to fit the new one.

If I did it later on I would have taken some pictures for you but did it early this morning, sorry if it’s not clear mate just let me know if you need any more info hope it helps.

Luke

Cheers for that luke I will hopefully have a look at it at the weekend, as long as the weather is ok. have had a look on ECP website and it looks like you can buy it in parts rather than replacing the whole thing, which might be easier as it is only the rear off-side that is sticking. sound like it is a common fault with the 197.

No problem mate. I brought mine separately from Renault was around £40, there’s only two cables one to each side. I brought OEM as I’ve had problems with aftermarket cables and them being the wrong length before.