Changing exhaust manifold

SRX600

Paid Member
Hi new here so apologies if the question has already been answered. I am looking to change my exhaust manifold, based on the article in the FAQ section the front subframe needs to be dropped. Is this something I can do on the drive on stands or does it really need to be done on a lift ?

Yeah It can be done on the floor but you need two of these low profile jacks that go 50cm high or more to make it easier for you, that's the way I've done it,the subframe needs to come out and it's not a bad job to do unless the bolts are very rusty which shouldn't really be.

I did it on stands a few weeks ago no problem.

Remember to undo the bolt at the bottom of the steering column behind the pedals in order to drop the subframe.

Undo the droplinks.

The undo the subframe bolts, lower it on a jack. I left my wishbones attached and let it hang from those, there was plenty of room to get the manifold out.

Remember to disconnect your battery... The starter motor is live and it's easy to shower yourself in sparks and electrocute yourself in the process, ask how I know haha.

What brand of manifold are you replacing it with? I'd avoid toyo, wish I'd got another genuine Renault one instead

No worries.

The metal pin from the steering rack slots sideways into the bottom of the steering column shaft, and it can be a pain to slide out... the clamping pressure from the bolt bends the metal of the steering column shaft around the pin. So, you might need to bend this metal bit open before you can disconenct the two. Take a look behind the carpet under the pedals and you'll see what I mean.

I'd try doing this before you make a start on everything else as it can be a right pain in the ass, and you can't drop the subframe without this separated.

I used a suspension strut separator (link) with a few washers superglued to it, and a crowbar to pry it open just enough. It's pretty awkward as there isn't much room down behind the pedals.

The nut and bolt is single use... I reused it and it came loose on the next trackday, so worth replacing it with a new one from Renault for a tenner when you put it all back together!

Also, there's a rectangular brace across the subframe- you don't need to remove that. Just leave it on.

The nuts inside it are welded on but the weld cracks easily... ask me how I know! It makes it a pain to get it bolted back in

Reactions: SRX600