Car buying addiction

So I have owned my Clio since January and already test driven and made a verbal deal on a BMW 335i. No deal has gone down yet but the cars mint and has had a pre purchase inspection. So I'm sat here thinking do I have a problem or just not happy with the Clio? Anybody else get like this?

I do this all the time. I have had around 25 cars in my 7 years of driving.

It's mainly been VW's, had an M3, classic mini etc etc. The clio is something completely different from the norm for me and I absolutely love it. But I know in another 3 to 6 months I'll fancy a change and probably put it up for sale, for no reason at all.

Reactions: Blueman
So I have owned my Clio since January and already test driven and made a verbal deal on a BMW 335i. No deal has gone down yet but the cars mint and has had a pre purchase inspection. So I'm sat here thinking do I have a problem or just not happy with the Clio? Anybody else get like this?

Not really a problem having nice cars to drive is it?

:smile:

The 335i is an excellent car and can be a real weapon with a remap, some suspension and brakes. It's pretty decent out of the box too.

If you want to sell the Clio then that just says maybe it's not the car for you really.

All depends what you want out of the driving experience. They're very different propositions. If you want excitement and handling, I'd be staying in the Clio. If outright speed, creature comforts and status are more important, the BMW is the right choice.

Personally excitement behind the wheel is everything to me so I'd be sticking with the Clio, but that's easy for me to say as I also have a BMW.

Do you still have the Z4?

Thanks for the replies guys I feel I need some sound advice. ///M I sold my Z4 because it was a shed and a money pit but I absolutely loved it and since then have had a hole in my heart lol.
I purchased the Clio straight after.

It all depends on your usage buying is one thing running costs are a different question.But I'll have a M3 over a 335 but still a very nice car

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueman
If you are a petrolhead which most probably are on this forum, there is always an itch to scratch or something new and shiny that will catch your eye. Pretty sure hard drugs would be a cheaper lifestyle but this addiction is at least healthy for you... just not your wallet :smile:

Yeah I totally understand the hole getting rid of the BMW has left.

I have to say though, for the price of a 335i you could be in a very nice E46 M3. Biased I know, but for good reason!

Plus if you get one with low miles and keep it that way and look after it, you could make money on it. They hit the bottom of the curve a while ago and are on the rise now.

Yeah I totally understand the hole getting rid of the BMW has left.

I have to say though, for the price of a 335i you could be in a very nice E46 M3. Biased I know, but for good reason!

Plus if you get one with low miles and keep it that way and look after it, you could make money on it. They hit the bottom of the curve a while ago and are on the rise now.
The 335i I'm looking at getting is £6991 with £3000 offered on part ex for the Clio. I did shop around for E46 however couldn't find a good example near me. I could have another look now.

E46 does look dated to me as opposed to the e92..

Last edited:
The 335i I'm looking at getting is £6991 with £3000 offered on part ex for the Clio. I did shop around for E46 however couldn't find a good example near me. I could have another look now.

E46 does look dated to me as opposed to the e92..

My GOD that's cheap! Must be a fairly leggy one at that price. I know you probably know this already but I'd suggest some very thorough due diligence to make sure there aren't some big bills on the way!

Yeah I get what you're saying about the E46, it's at that in between stage right now where it doesn't look at all modern but it's not quite old enough to be a classic. But it will be. Personally, I'm not at all a fan of the Chris Bangle cars, I didn't like anything BMW did after he came on board nor since. The E89 Z4 was the last thing I liked really. Again, driving experience is absolutely the top priority for me, the new ones are pretty soulless in comparison. But yeah, horses for courses...

Anyway, for the price bracket you're looking at, I definitely wouldn't suggest an M3, it would be just like your Z4!

My GOD that's cheap! Must be a fairly leggy one at that price. I know you probably know this already but I'd suggest some very thorough due diligence to make sure there aren't some big bills on the way!

Yeah I get what you're saying about the E46, it's at that in between stage right now where it doesn't look at all modern but it's not quite old enough to be a classic. But it will be. Personally, I'm not at all a fan of the Chris Bangle cars, I didn't like anything BMW did after he came on board nor since. The E89 Z4 was the last thing I liked really. Again, driving experience is absolutely the top priority for me, the new ones are pretty soulless in comparison. But yeah, horses for courses...

Anyway, for the price bracket you're looking at, I definitely wouldn't suggest an M3, it would be just like your Z4!
It's done 120,000, 2007, I paid for a 118 point check inspection and it needs the handbrake adjusted, brake light, headlight washer and dip beam. I'm not mechanically inclined hence getting the inspection done. Anything else I need to look for?

Can understand car swapping but it's not my cup of tea. Would prefer to look after the one vehicle and know it's sound. Always that risk when buying cars of something going tits up, particularly performance cars if they've not been looked after.

But Horses for courses n' all!

Can understand car swapping but it's not my cup of tea. Would prefer to look after the one vehicle and know it's sound. Always that risk when buying cars of something going tits up, particularly performance cars if they've not been looked after.

But Horses for courses n' all!

Or at least get something with a decent warranty. That's probably the only reason I bought mine (and never needed it, thankfully!)

It's done 120,000, 2007, I paid for a 118 point check inspection and it needs the handbrake adjusted, brake light, headlight washer and dip beam. I'm not mechanically inclined hence getting the inspection done. Anything else I need to look for?

I'd strongly suggest doing a web search for "high mileage 335i" to see what comes up. There will be a good amount of info to get stuck into. The important thing to take on board is that they were pretty expensive cars to begin with so servicing and more so maintenance work is going to be in a ball park way, way above the Clio.

How's the history on the car? When were the turbos done? How many fuel pumps has it had (they're very delicate!)? I've heard of oil filter housings breaking too. It's a higher end BMW so fixing any of this will not be trivial. If it needs turbos you're looking anywhere between £2-3k at a guess for a kick off.

It's good the car has been checked over but that doesn't tell you what's around the corner. Check the history fully mate.

Best bet is to make a post on Bimmerpost or any of the other BMW forums. They'd help you better than I as I only really know the E46. Just be certain there are no scary bills on the way mate!

I'd strongly suggest doing a web search for "high mileage 335i" to see what comes up. There will be a good amount of info to get stuck into. The important thing to take on board is that they were pretty expensive cars to begin with so servicing and more so maintenance work is going to be in a ball park way, way above the Clio.

How's the history on the car? When were the turbos done? How many fuel pumps has it had (they're very delicate!)? I've heard of oil filter housings breaking too. It's a higher end BMW so fixing any of this will not be trivial. If it needs turbos you're looking anywhere between £2-3k at a guess for a kick off.

It's good the car has been checked over but that doesn't tell you what's around the corner. Check the history fully mate.

Best bet is to make a post on Bimmerpost or any of the other BMW forums. They'd help you better than I as I only really know the E46. Just be certain there are no scary bills on the way mate!
Thanks for the advice mate I'll post over there. Car comes with full service history and a fresh MOT and the dealer told me everything has been done as it's a higher mileage car but his word doesn't matter to me hence wanting it checked.

By law it has to come with a 3 month warranty so I f anything went wrong I could take it back to him right?

Thanks for the advice mate I'll post over there. Car comes with full service history and a fresh MOT and the dealer told me everything has been done as it's a higher mileage car but his word doesn't matter to me hence wanting it checked.

By law it has to come with a 3 month warranty so I f anything went wrong I could take it back to him right?

Yes it's a bonus if buying from a dealer that if it all goes pear shaped in the first few months you have some security behind you. But yes, you're right not to trust the dealer. I never trust anyone selling me anything, even a pasty, let alone a car worth thousands!

Turbos are the biggest one really mate. Find out when they were done. If they haven't been done run a mile!

Fingers crossed it all works out well for you. It's a high miler but if treated well, BMWs can deal with plenty more miles, just be prepared for it being in the stage where things are going to need replacing simply due to age.

They're great cars and drive extremely well.

For ME: in reference to cars and bikes - (i soon realised) 'advertised top speeds / power meant very little.

Having owned a Brand new GSXR 1000, a couple of Ducati's, some Monster Supermoto's etc - about the most fun and involving motorcycle i've ever owned was a Honda VFR400.

Not so much so with cars - as i've never owned anything stupidly fast. But feelings / sensations and the smiles and enjoyment they bring is far-far more important to me than age, kudos or book speeds. And i'm happy to oblige a few foibles in order to achieve that in general. To a point !

I see folk selling their old vehicle on ebay etc and mention the reason for sale as 'trading up'. Well often i read between the lines and see their way of thinking is 'faster = better' in relation to the new vehicle they mention they've now bought.

For me that's never been true. Faster is simply faster. In no way does that automatically go hand in hand with 'better'.

If i did more miles / needed something more comfortable / more fuel efficient / that came with a warranty etc etc etc perhaps my views would change. But for now that's not of importance to me and help to highlight why i own a Clio RS.

But thats just me...........and in saying all of that - i hope you enjoy your new car as much as i love mine :smile:

Reactions: ///M and Jimmy