calliper pins

hello all, had my car in a formula 1 autocenter since 11 this morning,pins are seized in calliper not even done 1 side yet, now got to get another bloke in to drill them out having a mare of a time any ideas??????:thumb1:

i used an extension bar, rested it on the end of the pin, lump hammer, and smashed them out.

tried with punches, but couldnt hit them hard enough.

extension bar worked well :smile:

Odd mine were a bit tough but I used an old 5mm drill bit and a hammer to knock them out (very high-tech method lol!), came out perfect and were able to be reused. I would recommend using loads of brake cleaner fluid on them if stuck, it should have the same effct as WD40 but not impact on the disc and pads!

Odd mine were a bit tough but I used an old 5mm drill bit and a hammer to knock them out (very high-tech method lol!), came out perfect and were able to be reused. I would recommend using loads of brake cleaner fluid on them if stuck, it should have the same effct as WD40 but not impact on the disc and pads!

i wouldnt recommend a drill bit as a punch they can shatter !!!

as for the pins being siezed - first hammer the pins in the caliper then a few "gentle" taps on the caliper where the pins go in - and then a hard swift positive whack with a 2lb or heavier hammer i find does the trick !

got them done ending up calling some 1 in to drill them out,and been told seized in via car wash products by hand car wash down road, spraying stuff onto alloys to clean wheels etc, but done now 100 pound lighter,

Not an ideal situation mate but if it needed doing then you didn't have much choice!

Lol sorry Si I was replying to Burton in that post. I know what you are saying about the drill bits though, I can only say that I wasn't prepared and grabbed the first thing to hand that would fit to knock it all of the way through - not much force involved - but you are spot on with the advice and it shouldn't be used if it can be helped.