Break fluid change

Joshluff

Platinum Member
I'm going to be doing a break fluid change and I was wondering if anyone knows how much I will need for a full flush and also I'm on dot 4 I've been told dot5.1 is better ?

A litre, from what I remember, is normally enough for the Clio.

I didnt notice any difference between 4 and 5.1 apart from the clutch pedal squeaking (side effect of ATE Superblue).

A litre, from what I remember, is normally enough for the Clio.

I didnt notice any difference between 4 and 5.1 apart from the clutch pedal squeaking (side effect of ATE Superblue).

Superblue is DOT 4 also, not 5.1

I've just bought the motul 5.1 and doing change in next couple of weeks. I heard you need 1.2l, but would go for at least 3 bottles just in case you hit any problems...

i always get 3x500ml bottles.as im rubbish at bleeding brakes i get my mate to do it.have always used Motul RBF 600/660..imo its always safer to have a bit left than racing to the shop to get some more..will eventually gets used anyway...

Also if I were to do a engin oil change does anyone no how much ruffley I would need for that ?:smile: cheers

There is very little difference between Dot 4 and Dot 5.1 these days. It used to be that Dot 5.1 had a higher boiling point but with the new 'super' Dot 4 fluids this is not the case any more. Just avoid Dot 5 fluid. Or so my research indicated anyway.

I'm using Motul RBF660 which is a Dot 4 fluid.

Last edited: