Braking Fault!

Okay need an educated opinion and advice of someone whos worked on renaults before or a good technician.

Basic story i have a re-occuring problem with my car in the shape of BRAKING FAULT on the dash with a very irritating beep. Originally it'd come and stay on for say 30 or 40 miles before going out, but eventually stayed on.

After a couple weeks/300 miles i gave up on it dissapearing and it went to renaults. Fault codes picked up both rear abs sensors faulty, they checked and rechecked and couldnt find a problem with them so deleted the codes and sent me on my way. After brief advice on here i put it down to the car being on the rollers and thinking the two rear sensors were broke as they rear wheels remained stationary when the fronts spun up.

2 problem free months down the line and 10 metres from my garage one morning i get the same fault, took it back to renault and more or less same story, faulty rear sensors, changed this time and sent on my way.

a month later ( yesterday ) 10 metres from my garage once again and you guessed it, braking fault on my dash. Im reluctant to take it to renaults as their quality of work so far is dissapointing.

So to the matter at hand, which could be causing this problem? my garage suffers from quite bad brick dust and moisture, could it be fouling the sensors and merely require a good clean occasionally or is it something terminal like the ABS ecu etc? :worried:

Thanks for time and any advice, ben.

I can't help much but have you checked your brake fluid level? Guess it would show a brake fault if that's low

I can't help much but have you checked your brake fluid level? Guess it would show a brake fault if that's low

Sorry should explain abit more about my brake system:

KTR two piece front discs
KTR braided lines
EBC RedStuff pads all round
AP 5.1 fluid bled correctly every 3 months, always kept topped up!

Brakes are stripped, cleaned and copper greased up every 2000 miles or so.

the rear sensors are quite well protected from dust/dirt/water etc - so cant see it being that

its strange that it keeps coming up as both rear sensors - sounds like a software/ecu fault or the abs solenoid actuator

other items to check are wheel bearing play and sensor air gaps and wiring loom connections (especially the rear sensor looms) - have you been messing about with interior trim ?

also have a look at the brake fliud cap for a faulty low fluid warning switch

No I haven't messed with any interior wires etc.

I thought it may be something more technical than simply cleaning sensors.

Guess it's a Renault job after all, always a pleasure :worried:

Took it to Renaults today, bad news...

Lost the car for what i've been warned a week +. Suspect ABS pump and faulty ABS Computer, big job, lots of strippage and not even a courtesy car avaliable :worried:

Not to worry as soon as i get the car back next week it will be getting returned to standard and sold to pay off finance and free up my Garage for a tasty yellow S3 :smiley:

Lost the car for what i've been warned a week +. Suspect ABS pump and faulty ABS Computer, big job, lots of strippage and not even a courtesy car avaliable :worried:

Not to worry as soon as i get the car back next week it will be getting returned to standard and sold to pay off finance and free up my Garage for a tasty yellow S3 :smiley:

really ???? OMG

Why does nobody like these cars on here? :worried:

throw 2k at one and you have 350bhp! cost me 2k alone for my +10bhp cams :worried:

I like the card just seems all the 197's are going ... All the big hitters Kevo , you , etc etc

Before u know it everyone has gone .

I like the card just seems all the 197's are going ... All the big hitters Kevo , you , etc etc

Before u know it everyone has gone .............

That because from a tuning sense the 197 has very low limitations in what can be achieved even with deep pockets!

That's why eventually all the true modders know when to quit and move on lol.

Lost the car for what i've been warned a week +. Suspect ABS pump and faulty ABS Computer, big job, lots of strippage......

i wouldnt say its that big a job - its only located behind the air filter box -
it will probably take longer checking the software :001_rolleyes:

Nitrous components have to be removed to access it though, and they refuse to refit it incase they mess it up and are accountable.

Still good of them to give it the blind eye...

Nitrous components have to be removed to access it though, and they refuse to refit it incase they mess it up and are accountable.

Still good of them to give it the blind eye...

now that is a result :wink: