Brake pad "meat"

Just looking a bit of advice guys..

since buying my 200 almost a month ago, the brakes have been squeeling. I rang up and my girlfriend took the car in while I was on holiday. They cleaned the brakes and sent her on her way. I've got back from holiday and the cars still making the same noise when I brake. So I've Rang up and told her I'm pissed off now and that I'll end up having to change the pads in the near future to which she said I'll have to pay. Apparently it's just ****e off the road and brake dust so nothing can be done and its a problem on the clio sport range. So basically I'm expected to drive around with a squeeling car. Then the service team have asked me to take the car in next Wednesday and when it's up on the ramp I can see the brakes still have plenty of "meat" on. I have no idea what I'm looking for so can anyone give me an indication of what should be left if they're in good condition?

It can be common on these mate, generally people tend to strip down the brakes, front and back at least once a year to clean them and get some copper slip which will help stop them squeaking. I had it on the rears of mine, easy job to do. If you become a paid member on here (£5) then there are some "how to guides" to help.

10.jpg

The 'meat' or friction material is the grey stuff that is bonded to the metal backing plate which is normally black but some are different colours (the pic above is just for reference and not the one fitted to the clio). The garage are right in saying that the Clios have a problem with dust and general dirt building up and stopping them working properly. Its a known issue with that Brembo caliper no matter what car it's been fitted to, regular proper cleaning stops some problems. Squealing however is usually caused by the 'wings' (not on the pads in the picture) or ends of the pads rubbing on the caliper which is usual cured with some copper grease.

Last edited:
I need to become a paid member still I keep meaning to do it but end up forgetting!! I'll do it tonight after work! They said they've cleaned it so I was thinking something must be rubbing!

They may have just given the a squirt with some brake cleaner, they do need a good strip down cleaned.

my brakes don't squeal :eek:

as said they need to be stripped apart and cleaned etc as they seize in the calipers both front and rear

you can also put a small chamfer on the edges of the pad to stop them catching the wear ridge on the discs

if properly maintained the brakes don't squeal!!!

So could it be the rear brakes or the front?? I was just thinking the front, so I need to check both really?

Worth it, unless you can pin point the noise. I knew it was the rears on mine as driving slow putting the hand brake a tiny amount stopped the squeaking. But in the long un you may as well to front and rear.

Alright cheers fellas! I'll see what's what when I take it in. Also the clutch pedal is clicking sometimes when I change gear, any idea what that could be??