brake cylinder/pston problem!!

hey,

Tried changing my rear pads today as they are worn down, however when i try to psh the pston back to fit the new pads n it jst would not move at all!!
I was sing a small vice to do it but it just would not move!!

Any ideas??

you need to push them in and wind them in clockwise at the same time.

there is a tool for it but o did mine with a g clamp to squeexe the piston and a grinder key to wind in the piston

there is a tool for it but o did mine with a g clamp to squeexe the piston and a grinder key to wind in the piston

yer thts what im doing but it just aint going back in! its proper doin my head in now

yep - push and turn clock-wise and they retract in

i use a set of long nose pliers to fit in the piston slots - then just push and turn - wind them fully back in - fit pads - then pump pedal to adjut up and adjust handbrake cable to suit :thumbup:

yer thts what im doing but it just aint going back in! its proper doin my head in now

it must be a fine thread as it takes alot to wind them in. you also need yo push pretty hard.

my trafic van is the same set up and they were pretty stiff to push back in

needs lots of pressure to get it to start winding back in

also make sure the handbrake cable is fully back - some are over adjusted and the brake levers are not fully in the "off" position!

Would a big set of plumb pliers work? They are like ajustable pliers at a near 90 degree angle to the handle.

needs lots of pressure to get it to start winding back in

also make sure the handbrake cable is fully back - some are over adjusted and the brake levers are not fully in the "off" position!

yep when i put new disks and pads on the van the new pads were so thick compared to the old ones that the return arm would not free right off

i had to strip the caliper and soak the arm in plus-gas over and over to get the arm free enough to fully retract