Brake cooling

Hey guys!

I have a clio 197 and I DON'T take it to the track, but I enjoy some spirited driving on some back roads. The thing is, I think the brakes don't cool fast enough and end up overheating and losing performance significantly after some 5 or 6 corners...(stock pads, calipers and rotors)
I would like to find a way to cool them down more eficiently, without changing the rotors for some grooved ones or perfurated or something like that, because my stock ones don't need changing yet...
Do you think those fog lights duct kits are worth it? Are there better ways do cool them down?
Would love some help, thanks!

You shouldn’t need brake cooling on the road. Decent pads and uprated fluid should be more than enough. A few of us run cooling ducts on track cars but that is because we are hard on the brakes corner after corner, lap after lap, at higher than road speeds. Try a decent pad/disc/fluid combo first would be my advice.

Reactions: RSRowe and Sean197
I'd be very surprised if you were overheating the brakes on the road after 5 or 6 corners. I have a 25 minute drive home on empty back roads from work and when it's quiet I'll kick the arse out of it, never once have I thought the brakes needed cooling. Get your fluid changed and the system bled, then maybe a slightly upgraded pad like ds2500, but you shouldn't need more than that.

Reactions: Beany and R20BTG
You shouldn’t need brake cooling on the road. Decent pads and uprated fluid should be more than enough. A few of us run cooling ducts on track cars but that is because we are hard on the brakes corner after corner, lap after lap, at higher than road speeds. Try a decent pad/disc/fluid combo first would be my advice.
I'd be very surprised if you were overheating the brakes on the road after 5 or 6 corners. I have a 25 minute drive home on empty back roads from work and when it's quiet I'll kick the arse out of it, never once have I thought the brakes needed cooling. Get your fluid changed and the system bled, then maybe a slightly upgraded pad like ds2500, but you shouldn't need more than that.
Thanks guys I think I'll try that! Mine don't drastically loose performance, but when the brakes are hot, the performance is way below what I'd like for the kind of driving I'm doing at that moment. Maybe it's time to change the pads amyway, so I'll get that done along with what you lot sugested before spending money and modifying the car with the ducts.
Thanks!

Reactions: Sean197
Put some Mintex M1144 or M1155 in it. They’ll be more than you’ll ever need on the road, plus they’re cheap.

Your in Portugal are you driving in the mountains the Brembo front calipers need regular work to make sure pads slide freely and the rear calipers can stick causing drag and heat buildup you might not notice with normal driving but will stop or slow cooling when pushing on.

Your in Portugal are you driving in the mountains the Brembo front calipers need regular work to make sure pads slide freely and the rear calipers can stick causing drag and heat buildup you might not notice with normal driving but will stop or slow cooling when pushing on.
It might be that as well, now that I think about it, it does happen

Didn't realise you were in Portugal, so ambient temps should be higher but I'd have thought road driving would cope just fine (unless you're driving like a lunatic :openmouth:)

Didn't realise you were in Portugal, so ambient temps should be higher but I'd have thought road driving would cope just fine (unless you're driving like a lunatic :openmouth:)
Not like a lunatic but I do drive quite fast on the empty mountain roads average temps of 20 something degrees make the brakes fatigue a bit faster :/

I can second what Turkie says. Two shots from my brand new front discs after two mountain tours in France last year.

SNV15850.jpg SNV15852.jpg

Standard Brembo discs and Sport pads.

As other guys have already said about pads/fluid, and with respect, get on the brakes, get off, dont linger. Many times on track, I see people on the brakes far too long, and back in the paddock say they are overheating. I wait until I think I am going to crash, stand hard on the brakes, get off as quickly as possible. I run either ds1.11, or winmax 5 on the road and track, but young Mr Rowe has pointed you in the right direction.

Reactions: R20BTG and RSRowe