auto level headlights

ryan197

POW right in the kisser
Platinum Member
does lowering a car effect the auto light leveling system on the car, as theres a switch/mechanism on the the rear axle beam/bottom of the car. i had some H&R 40mm springs fitted a few months back, and my mate notice yestaday that my headlights were abit high, any had the same experience with this.

think theres one on the front axle as well

if you think about it - if its "lowered" it will put the system out of line - if its lowered more at the front it will sence it and lift the lights up

As for the Xenon lights with autoleveling, under the bonnet there are 2 holes in the plastic cover over the headlamps, were you can adjust the max. position when the ignition/lights turned on (otherwise you can damage your autoleveling system).

Albeit you do need an Allen key for that.

think theres one on the front axle as well

if you think about it - if its "lowered" it will put the system out of line - if its lowered more at the front it will sence it and lift the lights up

40mm front and back, my lights are higher then they should be, if you think about it, your right its not the back switch as this would bring my lights lower, wheres this switch on the front

Last edited:
As for the Xenon lights with autoleveling, under the bonnet there are 2 holes in the plastic cover over the headlamps, were you can adjust the max. position when the ignition/lights turned on (otherwise you can damage your autoleveling system).

Albeit you do need an Allen key for that.

which cover is that mate, didnt think about the head light adjustment might have a look at that.

i think at some point someones messed with the adjustment because when im behind cars the one light looks brighter than the other in the reflection. maybe it this or maybe lowering hasnt helped.

In short, yes, lowering and suspension mods can put the out of line, the auto adjusters just keep them at the right angle, but if the nominal angle is out, they will always be wrong :smile:

Simple answer, go to the local MOT spot (or Renault) and have them reset

I have a similar problem: my left light is low, but the right is OK?

And when I'm standing still they go up/down, like they're auto adjusting, but my car doesn't move for 3-5min.

What can it be? I know about that 2 holes, but you only adjust the height of the whole lights, not the beam.

In short, yes, lowering and suspension mods can put the out of line, the auto adjusters just keep them at the right angle, but if the nominal angle is out, they will always be wrong :smile:

Simple answer, go to the local MOT spot (or Renault) and have them reset

how wolud they reset them, it would need the switch adjusted wouldnt it.

I have a similar problem: my left light is low, but the right is OK?

And when I'm standing still they go up/down, like they're auto adjusting, but my car doesn't move for 3-5min.

What can it be? I know about that 2 holes, but you only adjust the height of the whole lights, not the beam.

i dont know what it is mate, but i was finkin about the passenager light that doesnt look a bright and maybe it maybe because im not directy behind it to get the same reflection as the one im sitting behind. i would say there some kind of adjustment in the light.

how wolud they reset them, it would need the switch adjusted wouldnt it.

To be honest im not ultimately sure with Renaults.

The switch/sensor/adjuster will keep them at the same level all the time, but there should be some form of mechanical "calibration" adjustment to the system, that seems the norm on most cars.

However it may be possible that the calibration will be done electronically throught the adjustment system itself. (Likely through the OBDII port)

I'd consult Renault on whats-what :thumbup1:

40mm front and back, my lights are higher then they should be, if you think about it, your right its not the back switch as this would bring my lights lower, wheres this switch on the front

think it works off the passenger side front (n/s/f) suspension - but i dont think they are "adjustable" - its a renault computer jobbie - unless you can play about with the lamp adjusters under the bonnet

I changed my standards for the projectors and i think they are now set to low, i also think the left is also lower than the right now.

just had a look at them and had a mess with the adjustment in each light. lowered them down to what i fort was the correct height, marked the height on the garage door, took it out for a spin, sat behind a car and it looked to low, pulled it back on the drive at the same point, the level is alot lower then the mark, so i asume that auto level as dropped them down, so again adjusted then back upto the mark (same distance i took off in the first place) turned me lights on and off and it still comes up to the mark, wenr for a drive come back and still on the mark.

my only guesse is that the lowering has confused the autolevel and it sometime work, or its a renault and it does it anyway.

the passenager headlight has a different shaped lense that aims the light wider toward the kerb than the driver, to stop dazzling on coming drivers

just had a look at them and had a mess with the adjustment in each light. lowered them down to what i fort was the correct height, marked the height on the garage door, took it out for a spin, sat behind a car and it looked to low, pulled it back on the drive at the same point, the level is alot lower then the mark, so i asume that auto level as dropped them down, so again adjusted then back upto the mark (same distance i took off in the first place) turned me lights on and off and it still comes up to the mark, wenr for a drive come back and still on the mark.

my only guesse is that the lowering has confused the autolevel and it sometime work, or its a renault and it does it anyway.

the passenager headlight has a different shaped lense that aims the light wider toward the kerb than the driver, to stop dazzling on coming drivers

both lights should have the same pattern and have the throw up to the left to illuminate the kerb