Are my speedlines cup racers or not ?

I was looking at the back of my speedlines today whilst trying to strip the paint off for a refurb and I noticed they have two different numbers on the spokes. One says 8J 17 which i believe is the cup racers but the other spoke on the same wheel says 7.5J 17. now I'm confused. is there any other marking that would tell me which version they are ?

I was looking at the back of my speedlines today whilst trying to strip the paint off for a refurb and I noticed they have two different numbers on the spokes. One says 8J 17 which i believe is the cup racers but the other spoke on the same wheel says 7.5J 17. now I'm confused. is there any other marking that would tell me which version they are ?

Sounds like someone had a mix up when replacing damaged wheels. You could just get out your tape measure.

One says 8J 17 which i believe is the cup racers but the other spoke on the same wheel says 7.5J

Sounds very strange to me, but I've never seen the cup racer wheels. Maybe it is so you can choose which number to give to the authorities in car-hateing countries :smile:

Last edited:
Yes they are correct, only the 8x17's have both these marks wereas the standard wheels only have the 7.5x17 markings.

Bit odd but something i've picked up whilst lurking around the cup paddocks all this time :eek:

Yes they are correct, only the 8x17's have both these marks wereas the standard wheels only have the 7.5x17 markings.

Bit odd but something i've picked up whilst lurking around the cup paddocks all this time :eek:

Sorry to drag up an older thread, If you look at both markings you'll notice at the side of were it says 8x17 there will be a raised circular mark and if they are 8x17's they will have stamped an 'X' into it.

Bit pointless really as the wider wheels are the only ones to have both marks, the 7.5x17 don't have the other stamp *

*so I've been told.

Sorry to drag up an older thread, If you look at both markings you'll notice at the side of were it says 8x17 there will be a raised circular mark and if they are 8x17's they will have stamped an 'X' into it.

Bit pointless really as the wider wheels are the only ones to have both marks, the 7.5x17 don't have the other stamp *

*so I've been told.

You have been told wrong! I only know this as I purchased a set of "cup racer wheels" that we're just standard wheels. My speedlines that came with the car also have both stamps.

The simple way to work out what they are is too look for a "X" stamped in one of the gaps on the hub. The 8x17 figures will all be on one half of the wheel and the 7.5x17 will be on the other and depending what side the "X" is stamped determines what size the wheel is.

I hate to think how many people out there think they have cup wheels but really just have standards. People need to learn to measure a wheel correctly.

Below is the correct way inner lip to inner lip.

image_zps1b3aaff6.jpg