Apraisal, redundancy looming

As a few of you know from the meet on saturday I am 50 50 on whether i am getting made redundant

Yesterday I had a date for an appraisal, the only thing is I have never had one before and I don't know what they consist of.

Has any of you had an appraisal before or know what they consist of?

Thanks

Review progress in general, and in relation to preagreed targets, agree on future targets, (both sides) discuss any concerns regarding your performance, future development of your role, etc.

Ok thank you, is this an opertunity to make me redundant?

It's the end of a 6 month probationary period you see.

It is an opportunity to review your progress, and how you fit with the business, rest of team, etc.

Depending on how you, and the business have performed, you should be ok, but if they want to get rid of you, the end of the probationary period is the last chance when it is easy for them.

I had one and it was just about bettering my work and discussing any problems I have at work. It was a blanket thing and everyone had one. Basically a waste of time. But they may also talk to you about the future of the company too.

thats what im thinking, this is one of the firms where i have worked where i wouldnt mind staying.

normally i get bored and go work for someone else after 6 months.

ive got a feeling that im going to get laid off and if im honest im panicing abit.

so normally apraisals are a positive thing and more of a review?

A review is exactly right, if undertaken correctly, with the company, and your line manager having the right attitude, they can be a very positive thing, without the right attitude they are a bit of a waste of time.

If it wasn't the end of your probationary period, I would say don't worry about it, as it is, don't worry about it too much, aside from anything else, there is probably nothing you can do to change the situation now anyway!

I think the end of your probationary period and the appraisal are probably linked, the redundancies are more likely a coinsidence.

I think the end of your probationary period and the appraisal are probably linked, the redundancies are more likely a coinsidence.

The reason this is bothering me so much is that the firm where i am now let me have 1 day a week off for college so if i get made redundant ill be out of work and i wont be able to find another company to let me have time off one day a week.

if it helps i have had no complaints, my work is a high standard and every job i have ran has handed over on time.

realistically what do you think the chances are of getting made redundant?

PS we have so much work on its un believable atm

You should be fine mate, and as for your day release at college, up here 90% of companies take on people and put them on day release and if they employ somebody that needs day release its not often a problem.

I just had my apraisal last month and was delighted. Got told things i really really didn't expect. It was also my first one.

Thanks guys, my mind is at ease a little now. i guess ultimately though ill just have to wait until the 29th of november at 1 o clock to find out.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K General Chat 3
Foxspeed General Chat 35