Anything to look for when buying a 197

Hi,

I've read the buyers guide but was just wondering if there is anything in particular to look for when buying a 197.

I've got a clio mk3 1.4 just now and love it so going for the power upgrade :smile:

Going to have a look at one on wednesday so fingers crossed she's a good one :smile:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

Buyers guide is pretty comprehensive tbh.

Make sure you know what spec you want

Check for crunchy gear boxes

Check the cambelt has been done if of the right year.

Also check the A/C, not the most reliable, as I found out today....
Rattles from boot catch, which is annoying, knocking engine mounts, knocking steering racks, crunching gear boxes, also a bit jumpy from cold start, cracked exhaust manifolds and flexis, sticking or seized front and rear brake callipers, do your homework.
They are fun cars, but my god they've got some "Quirks", Buy with caution.

Last edited:
Also check the A/C, not the most reliable, as I found out today....
Rattles from boot catch, which is annoying, knocking engine mounts, knocking steering racks, crunching gear boxes, also a bit jumpy from cold start, cracked exhaust manifolds and flexis, sticking or seized front and rear brake callipers, do your homework.
They are fun cars, but my god they've got some "Quirks", Buy with caution.

Totally agree haha, any other car making that many rattles and bangs would worry me but seems everyone has been stuck together with tissue paper and spit :lol:

Like the air con comment, the wife's has just packed up!

If you can, jack the front of the car up and check bottom swivels (£200 each from Renault, but apparently you can get new swivels fitted) and inner/outer track rods for play.
Ian.