Anybody Recommend a Head Unit?

Ross

Paid Member
Right finally i'm getting somewhere.

It seems my Car stereo (Sony GT31U) is not stalk control compatible, maybe thats why ive not been able to figure out which adaptor i needed...never thought the wires would match up so good job i didn't try buy any.

Can anybody suggest a decent head-unit which is compatible with the clio 197s stalk controls? Im hoping to spend around £70 - £80 ish with no fuss (Halfords or somewhere easy).

One last thing....MUST have the AUX socket for my iPhone / lead on the front. Other than that, im open to ideas and don't so much care about the USB.

Sure it's not compatible?

Tricky for me to comment as while I replaced the radio on my 200 there were some changes to the adapter needed towards the end of the 197 run iirc but either way you'll need one of the connects2 adapter (or similar adapter) like one of these:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ctsrn005-can-bus-steering-control-adaptor.html

That's just a standard part and not radio brand specific, there's usually a seperate part like:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/connects2-can-bus-sony-adaptor.html

that is the actual connector for the can bus system (most of the big block connector is the channels/live/ignition etc.)

In terms of radio you can't go wrong with any of the brands you recognise the name of at that price pioneer,sony,kenwood etc. Clarion was one that I almost bought from, they have a nice clean design format generally, not masses of plasticy halfords buttons.

Last edited:
Hmm cheers, some really useful information there. According to forums I've read it's not compatible. Looking at the back of it, I can see why too. There is nowhere to put that radio interface lead (second link above). All I have are the two fat boxy looking leads which connect to two of the three which come out of the car. The third of those three is a thinner yellow smaller box shape lead which so far has nowhere to go in the stereo.

I might have go get some photo's to explain but that's the short of it.