AlloysWheels 17" or 18" and Correct ET offsets needed

After making a visit to AMD Tuning Essex for Eibach lowering Springs advice Im being forced into buying my second set of new rims in past 9 months due to fitment area by a alloy wheel dealer that i will not name... SERIOUSLY NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS

so thought id chuck this out there im currently running 17x8j TSW Mugello with 235/40 kumho ku39 profile tyres and been told my 197 cant be lowered cause the ET offset on the rims is wrong "alloys poke just past arches " FFS :angry: AMD Tuning amased they passed a MOT lol also told thats most likely why she handles like a pig and to change my alloys first before having my steering hub changed incase its the alloys thats causing my steering/handling issues.

Right now to the Help part please Peps
whats the correct ET offset and tyre profiles for 197 on

17x7.5j...ET?

17x8J...ET? my tyres 235/40 or should it be 225/45 on this size?

18x7.5j...ET? been quoted need 215/35 on alloywheel site?

18x8j...ET?

and would the ET for each size above need to be different if they was Deep Dish alloys or flatter face alloys? As my current TSW Mugellos are Deep dish with a offset ET40

Im now looking at these alloys as my potential newbies

Cades ares white 18x7.5j offset ET48 which are deep dish and dont wanna buy them if im gonna get same pocking out the arches issue like my TSW's being i wanna lower her

Wolfrace JDM gunmetal or Black with polished rim undecided at mo on 17x7.5 or 18x8j ET35 and ET45 but again look quite Deep to the hub

MOMO Ten-S Gloss black 17x8j they comes in ET38 and ET42

MOMO Corse Gloss Black Polished 17x7.5j comes in ET35 and ET42

BK Racing BK 299 White with polished rim 18x8j comes in ET45

I get mixed yes and no's from alloywheel websites some say above wheels DO FIT and some say not available "due to out of stock or alloy not in fitment size for 197" that doesnt give a clear NO.

So if Anyone has got any Knowledge in the alloy wheel area and can advice me it would be appreciated..

I ran 17x8j ET 48 and they filed the arches just right. I wouldn't have wanted to go any further on the offset.

Tyres had to be 215/45 as with the coilovers the 225/45's rubbed on the arches.

I ran 17x8j ET 48 and they filed the arches just right. I wouldn't have wanted to go any further on the offset.

Tyres had to be 215/45 as with the coilovers the 225/45's rubbed on the arches.

Do you understand how ET offsets work?

like with your ET48 is it higher the number then there fit or do you need to go lower than ET48 to fit? as my TSW's are ET40 and they poke out past the arches im proper worried now at picking a new wheel lol

The lower the number the further they poke out.

With a 7.5j rim you could go to a 45et

Last edited:
Never heard of anybody running wider than a 225 tyre on the 197/200. I know when I changed from the standard 215 tyre to a 225 tyre there was a noticeable difference in how the car drove and it's tenancy to tramline.

I'm running 17x8.0 rims too though mine were designed for a Clio 197/200 being cup racer speedlines with 225/45R 17 Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tyres.

As far as I know the standard fitment is :
ET 68
PCD 108 x 5 stud
Centre bore 60.1
Width 7.5
Diameter 17
Taking a 215/45R 17 tyre.

You need to be careful with ET as it needs to clear the brakes and the perfohub suspension set up. This is why they come with the very unusual standard ET.

Last edited:
The lower the number the further they poke out.

With a 7.5j rim you cos go to a 45et

Just got off phone to wheelworx they said they wouldnt sell me any alloy wheels if i pleaded with em cause 197 are nightmares to clear calipar without poking out the arches lol magic did make me laugh..
He explained to me the higher ET means the better same as youve just said but he said to watch those calipers..So both the momo's are a def no well under et45 So im now nervous to order off the internet cause of caliper clearence

Never heard of anybody running wider than a 225 tyre on the 197/200. I know when I changed from the standard 215 tyre to a 225 tyre there was a noticeable difference in how the car drove and it's tenancy to tramline.

I'm running 17x8.0 rims too though mine were designed for a Clio 197/200 being cup racer speedlines with 225/45R 17 Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tyres.

ET 68
PCD 108 x 5 stud
Centre bore 60.1
Width 7.5
Diameter 17

You need to be careful with ET as it needs to clear the brakes and the perfohub suspension set up. This is why they come with the very unusual standard ET.

ET 68
PCD 108 x 5 stud
Centre bore 60.1
Width 7.5
Diameter 17

235/40 tyres do look good and grip off the line amazingly mate better than 215 or 225 but they follow any ripple in the road like mad shes a right bitch round bends to feels like im drifting at times not fun.
upto now i thought my steering hub or my shocks was shagged but really starting to think its the wheels and tyres now. thanx for the stats should help me out massively now when looking for new rims

They look sick mate im so jealous.. they look identical to the wolfrace jdm thats come out that im tempted to get but they dont do white versions.. what make are yours?

They are Rota Boost. Very light but you'll be lucky to get some as those where a special order that I picked up cheap as the customer cancelled the order.

a lot of people go for the the OZ Ultraleggera in 17 x 8 ET55 as they are bloody nice. clear big brake conversion. fill the arches spot on. can used std 215/45 tyres with them and also can work with super low coilovers

29fcn7b.jpg

If you want to stick with 7.5j then the 1/2 inch narrower rim will allow you to go to an offset of 6.3mm lower (0.5 = 12.7mm/2 as the centre offset with split the total reduction in rim width)

Therefore this reigns true with what angel said about et48 being the absolute lowest to go to but you may still get some arch rubbing

so imo id go for either 17x8j offset of 55

or

17x7.5j offset 48

Just remember when you lower the car you will gain a bit of negtive camber that will put the top of the wheels in anyway

Also remember that even though the offset may be correct, dependiong on the design of the spokes they can still foul the calipers

HTH

Kenny

Gone for 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 3 with et45 and uniroyal rainsport 3 in 215/45
Once there on her ill be able to decide how low to drop her 20mm or 30mm. Cant wait for friday now..
Hopefully ill get spare club stand pass for trax and ill be able to show her new look off

I'm running 18" 7.5 225/40 et 50 and there was bit of rubbing on fast corners, but after grinding bit of plastic joint (?) in wheel arch it's fine

They are gonna rub I think

I hope I'm wrong tho

That's like having a 23mm spacer

Gone for 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 3 with et45 and uniroyal rainsport 3 in 215/45
Once there on her ill be able to decide how low to drop her 20mm or 30mm. Cant wait for friday now..
Hopefully ill get spare club stand pass for trax and ill be able to show her new look off

Get some pics up once they are fitted:thumbsup: