Aircon noises

tchalikias

Paid Member
Hello all,

I have a question about the Clio's aircon.

When you turn it on, apart from the normal 'click' noise from the compressor, I can hear, for a few seconds, a sort of 'rattling' noise, like the sort a clutch bearing makes (which I believe to be the compressor clutch). My mate's Twingo makes the same noise - its best heard with the windows up from inside the cabin. Sometimes the noise is very unnoticeable, sometimes its louder.

Also, with the aircon on, there's a sort of 'whooshhhhhh' noise from behind the dashboard - I'm not talking about the cabin fan. Increasing the engine's rpm increases the 'whoosh' noise.

Now my old Megane used to make noises with the aircon on, but I remember it was extremely quiet when brand new...

Are these noises normal? The cooling performance is fine.

After that, it all sounds normal...

Mine does the same. It keeps loosing gas. I've currently got some UV dye in the system ready for it to be re-checked at Renault Wolverhampton for leaks. It is very noisy and I think something isn't quite right with it. It has been regassed twice. The car is just over 18 months old.

It makes the exact same noises? Do the noises stop after a while? Or are they present for as long as the aircon is on?

I had the dealer regas my aircon just to check the freon levels... everything was ok.. so it's not a leak.

It makes all kinds of noises. Wooshing noises, wering noises, ticking noises. All the time it's on too. It does get cold, just not that cold.

Thank god for the warranty then.. I was thinking of asking for a new compressor, but first I want to make sure that these noises aren't part of the package.

I don't like the idea of replacing parts on a brand new car..

The tech at the dealership said that the 'rattle' noise when starting the aircon is pretty much standard..