Air Intake... again

I took the lid off my airbox for the day and the noise is insane even though it loses power. So now I want the noise but not a big loss of power.

From a bit of research I see that the K&N Apollo and the Pipercross Viper lose power, they are both enclosed cone filters... but then so is the Maxogen so I'm a bit confused.

What about the K&N 57i and other open cone filters, are they also known to lose power?

I was very tempted to change the induction myself (and still am tbh) but from what I've read in the past EVERY single kit out there apart from ITG Maxogen (proved with with back to back runs) and V6 box (battery relocation though) will result to relatively big loses. Clio's intake is a kind of a sophisticated one apparently...

K-tec is developing a kit at the moment and not only they reported a desired extra induction noise but gains as well. They've been doing it for quite some time now it'd better be good...

I was very tempted to change the induction myself (and still am tbh) but from what I've read in the past EVERY single kit out there apart from ITG Maxogen (proved with with back to back runs) and V6 box (battery relocation though) will result to relatively big loses. Clio's intake is a kind of a sophisticated one apparently...

K-tec is developing a kit at the moment and not only they reported a desired extra induction noise but gains as well. They've been doing it for quite some time now it'd better be good...

Understatement of the century!

I alternate open cone and v6 box, you gain nothing worth talking about but never lost a anything either, open cone sounds the best though!

Last edited:
Think some of the filters you have mentioned are cotton,you would be best of with a foam filter like the maxogen which are geat quality and sound great.You can take the outer shell of them and they do sound even better but would end up with heat soak,Hendersons has a cold air feed which would help with the heat soak and sounds beasty:wink:

this is a clip of mine with the outer shell on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyUtDyCBCW0

That does sound nice, its amasing how a filter can change so change the sound/tone of car/ exhaust

Oh god open filter in winter closed in summer, if you live in scotland open filter all year round! I canna see there been too much difference which ever set up you choose, a map will make most run as good as each other. But then again what do I know!