Aftermarket Radio installation troubles

HarryJT97

Paid Member
Hi guys,
So after taking the factory fitted Satnav unit out of my car to fit Gauges, the factory radio no longer worked and I was told an aftermarket radio would be needed. So I purchased one, and an adaptor kit from eBay designed to be able to keep the steering wheel controls. However, when installing it I cannot get it power on, the disc drive powers up, but nothing comes up on the radio face itself. Only thing I can think is there is a small 5 pin yellow plug that is attached to the harness that isn't connected, and I cannot see anywhere for it to go either. Anyone used this kit or know if I'm just missing something massively obvious?
Thanks
Picture shows Harness and Blue circle shows the yellow 5 pin connector.
Radio Harness.jpeg

Did you try taking the circuit board out of the satnav display, connecting it to the loom and seeing if the radio works?

When I removed the clock from the top of the dash, the steering wheel controls stopped working (as they’re part of the same circuit so to speak).

So I disassembled the clock, connected just the PCB on its own to the loom connector to keep the car happy, and the steering wheel controls were working again.

May not be the same for you but it’s worth a go.

In regards to the connector, it’s been a while since I had my dash apart so can’t remember if the plug was connected but someone else should be able to confirm this.

Did you try taking the circuit board out of the satnav display, connecting it to the loom and seeing if the radio works?

When I removed the clock from the top of the dash, the steering wheel controls stopped working (as they’re part of the same circuit so to speak).

So I disassembled the clock, connected just the PCB on its own to the loom connector to keep the car happy, and the steering wheel controls were working again.

May not be the same for you but it’s worth a go.

In regards to the connector, it’s been a while since I had my dash apart so can’t remember if the plug was connected but someone else should be able to confirm this.
Unfortunately sold my Sat Nav unit as someone was after one :worried:

Unfortunately sold my Sat Nav unit as someone was after one :worried:
I can send you my PCB if you want as it’s sitting around not doing anything. I didn’t want it but it came with the satnav housing which was all that I was after.

For anyone who might face a similar issue, it turns out plugging in the PCB for the satnav does keep the car happy and help retain stereo functionality.

Reactions: Frank Perry