64mm enlarged TB finally fitted.

That's always the trade off when you enlarge the TB, there comes a crossover point between response and extra grunt.

Is it much slower to respond? Do you think you're more likely to notice it if you're used to having the SprintBooster on?

Agree, its hard to say cause so use to the increased throttle response of the sprint booster. Its funny cause cant imagine the car without one but thats another story. So turning it off seems to feel even slower for revs to build but equal feels more torque.
Cars can be strange things. Standard, the clio revs freely but you can sometimes feel like you've not really gone anywhere until 3rd gear. The more air in various guises (including V6 box)slows the build up of revs but offers more grunt. Really strange cross over point. I guess the increased throttle response from Sprint booster counter acts the slower throttle response of larger TB. Found myself wheel spinning a lot easier than before...

Last edited:
Good stuff. If it's too much of a drop off then I'll get a SprintBooster sorted. :smile:

Good stuff. If it's too much of a drop off then I'll get a SprintBooster sorted. :smile:

Sprintbooster is most def worth having. Trying to be honest as I know the larger TB is generating interest but its NOT a standalone mod. As we know, it needs to get air to it. If people are planning v6 or r3 intakes, then i'd say yes but I'd be doing exhaust and inlets def first....

Sprintbooster is most def worth having. Trying to be honest as I know the larger TB is generating interest but its NOT a standalone mod. As we know, it needs to get air to it. If people are planning v6 or r3 intakes, then i'd say yes but I'd be doing exhaust and inlets def first....

Agreed, like you say it's the culmination of smaller things that make a big difference on the Clio.

so with the new enlarged TB you feel like acceleration is worse without the sprintbooster being turned on?

I'm now starting to wonder wether it's a good idea to do this, because for me I doubt I'll be doing much more ie. R3 or V6 air box. So for me would I be spending money to get throttle lag? Most I'm ever going to do is a exhaust and remap :/ advice?

Whenever you enlarge a TB, there comes a point where throttle response can suffer slightly. That applies to any car, cable, or fly-by-wire setup. In some cars it has a very minor effect and with supporting mods it can be unnoticeable. However in other cars it can be more apparent. For example, a lot of Ford people go from 50mm to 60mm with minimal issues which is a much greater increase in volume then from 60mm to 64mm...

I think on an otherwise standard 197/200, there would still be an increase in performance in terms of extra grunt but it wouldn't be as much of an increase as if you had supporting breathing mods such as a Inlets, R3/V6 Airbox, Exhaust System etc.. But, at the moment, nobody has tried it on an otherwise standard car to confirm this.

If you take the limiting factor of an engines performance (in basic terms) to be how much and how efficiently it can get air through it then anything that increases airflow is worthwhile. But if your Airbox is limiting the TB then you won't realise its potential. Likewise if your Airbox and TB are flowing masses of air but your Inlets are crap, then again you won't be realising the full potential of the Airbox or the TB. And so on and so forth, if everything on the induction side of the engine is flowing masses of air but your Exhaust it wheezing like an Asthmatic on Sports Day then that will be your limiting factor...

As a supporting modification to other breathing mods', then it's worthwhile, so it depends on what you're planning for the future really.

Last edited:
Great explanation Willis! Cheers mate! :smile: think what I'll do is try it. If its pants or un-noticeable because it's not in line with any other intake mods I'll just remove it and sell it on here to someone who could make more use of it :smile: no harm done in trying I guess!

fully understand what your saying willis was just wondering if litchy felt acceleration had decreased with the sprintbooster off as obviously not everyone is running with the sprintbooster,but i was thinking the sprintbooser was intentionally boosting acceleration in the 1st place? thus meaning without it litchy would feel a loss in power/acceleration meaning most of us will not even notice a decrease:smile:

No probs Nick, at the end of the day I'm not making any money on them and the last thing I want to do is take money off people who aren't sure.

I can't see why it wouldn't give you an increase in grunt, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't in fact. The problem is that volume of air and speed of air doesn't go hand in hand. As the volume increases, generally the speed slows. Unfortunately there's no ''perfect'' setup, just how with Turbo cars you can have a very fast spool and little lag, or a chunk of lag but double the boost/power.

I'm very tempted to get one done at 62mm still as a middle ground experiment...

Like you say, somebody will always give you at least your money back for it. :smile:

James, the SprintBooster doesn't actually give any more power. What it does is multiply the signal from the accelerator to the ECU. So for example, if you depress the throttle by 25% then the SprintBooster will tell the ECU it's being depressed 50% or what have you, making the throttle response more urgent/aggressive. This would in essence mask any numbing (for want of a better word) of the throttle response after fitting a larger TB.

I think because Litchy is used to having his SprintBooster running, he'd find my car slow to respond despite us having practically the same mods', so yeah if you're not used to having one you might not notice any lag. The one person who has driven both his and my car commented that you could notice the difference in throttle response between the two although outright grunt was virtually the same... He did say mine sounded better though. :-p

Last edited:
James, the SprintBooster doesn't actually give any more power. What it does is multiply the signal from the accelerator to the ECU. So for example, if you depress the throttle by 25% then the SprintBooster will tell the ECU it's being depressed 50% or what have you, making the throttle response more urgent/aggressive. This would in essence mask any numbing (for want of a better word) of the throttle response after fitting a larger TB.

right ok i understand now cheers:smile:

I think because Litchy is used to having his SprintBooster running, he'd find my car slow to respond despite us having practically the same mods', so yeah if you're not used to having one you might not notice any lag. The one person who has driven both his and my car commented that you could notice the difference in throttle response between the two although outright grunt was virtually the same...

yes thats exactly my theory

He did say mine sounded better though. :-p

haha bonus!!

No probs Nick, at the end of the day I'm not making any money on them and the last thing I want to do is take money off people who aren't sure.

I can't see why it wouldn't give you an increase in grunt, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't in fact. The problem is that volume of air and speed of air doesn't go hand in hand. As the volume increases, generally the speed slows. Unfortunately there's no ''perfect'' setup, just how with Turbo cars you can have a very fast spool and little lag, or a chunk of lag but double the boost/power.

I'm very tempted to get one done at 62mm still as a middle ground experiment...

Like you say, somebody will always give you at least your money back for it. :smile:

I think because Litchy is used to having his SprintBooster running, he'd find my car slow to respond despite us having practically the same mods', so yeah if you're not used to having one you might not notice any lag. The one person who has driven both his and my car commented that you could notice the difference in throttle response between the two although outright grunt was virtually the same... He did say mine sounded better though. :-p

Ha, ha....Steve said sounded different, not better lol!!!!!!!

got to be honest i some times find throttle response a tad slow,so yeah my next questions are:- how much is a sprint booster?
are they easy to fit?
and finally where can i buy one?

got to be honest i some times find throttle response a tad slow,so yeah my next questions are:- how much is a sprint booster?
are they easy to fit?
and finally where can i buy one?

thinkj im right in saying people have brought them form ebay? worth sending noddie a pm though

And now, after a while, what are the impressions on the larger TB?

If Im honest, as you know the more you mod, the less obvious the things you've done before it appear. Felt more grunty when fitted and Payl said they appear to give a slight amount of more torque when on 'back to back'.