25mm spacers

How does the wheel spacers (25mm) upset the handling? I know this subject exists in other threads but all I'm hearing is that it upsets the handling but never heard in what way? More understeer? Bulky steering? Less agility?
I'm interested in knowing before installing them.

I've got 20mm on mine and didn't notice a difference. I only use my car on the road so can't comment about track handling.

I too only use my car on the road but occasionally take it to twisty roads and push it to its limit, after all that's what Clios are built for :wink:

I will most probably go for the 25mms to really fill those arches

I saw this and thought its best i answer it. This sort of info was exactly what i was after when looking at getting the 25mm spacers all around on mine.

Here's what I found:

I have the H&R 25mm spacers - 50mm total track.

I took my clio on the RS track Day at brands, was lapping 59.4's with spacers consistently, took them off and went to 59.0's.. definitely faster.

It does affect the handling, feels more noticeable on the road than on the track. It also makes a big difference on the springs. I first had standard springs with the spacers, like this is has more initial understeer, just didn't want to turn in and u then had to use more steering lock to get it to go, once it has turnt in it then had mid corner oversteer. Wasnt fun, you could drive around that but still, thats difference it made.

I then fitted eibach springs, it then was completely different again, it still was dead on initial turn in, but no more corner oversteer and more mid corner grip, just needs more lock. It also has a lot more understeer when turning in hard on the brakes, it just doesnt like it. In all honesty with stiffer springs and the spacers is fine, plus it looks so much better so left mine on. When i go back on track i would take them off. Renault sport aren't mugs, and they know it looks better wider so there is a reason they developed the car the standard width.

Hope that helps.

For the amount it affects the handling to how much better it looks, Put em on!! haha

Fitting spacers, umm, not a favourite subject of mine. It has been discussed, but no one has really got a good explanation. In my view, you have increased the track of the car, this does various things. A question I would ask is, what happens when you shorten the wheel base and fit softer springs, along with altering the active caster/camber angles, which is what you are doing when you fit wheel spacers. A shorter wheelbase makes for a less stable car, it will also have a larger turning circle and be less manoverable. An example of this, Ford used the American shell for the Focus RS as it has a longer wheel base, to get it to handle better than the ST, they have now gone to the Fiesta, with a narrower track and a long wheel base, sorry to mention the blue oval, but it is a good example. So you fit spacers and the effect is the same as shortening the car. The next bit with the springs, it is a bit like a seesaw, the further you sit from the pivot point the easier it is to push down, so you alter the spring rates. As for the camber and castor, because of the hub setup used, again moving the wheel away from the pivot point, you change the arc in which the wheel moves, altering the Ackerman and the camber change, hence the car understeers and then this goes into oversteer. Sometimes people perceive that fitting spacers makes the car feel different and react different. The reason a Renault use the large offset wheels, is to optimise all the geometry that has been tried and tested to give a well balanced car that turns in well, is stable at speed and gives a reasonable amount of comfort.

Now if you start to alter the suspension, the camber, fit different wheels, and spend vast amounts of money tuning everything to get it to work better than factory, that is great, but fitting Carlos fandango spacers, that actually make the car look silly from the back well that is fine as well.

Just remember, that all the money you are spending on engine parts to go faster, is now being lost in the corners, where the Renaultsport, used to leave the competition.

Once a few people start to realise the effect it actually does cause by fitting spacers, there will be a shed load for sale.

If Renaultsport had wanted to have the wheels further out they would of, but to get the chassis to be as good as it is, they had to use the offset on the wheels to do it, they used the offset to move the centre point as near to the pivot point on the steering knuckle to eliminate all the camber/caster changes, when using that type of upright/hub setup.

Anyway, enough of my dislike for spacers and I apologise for my rant, I'm off to cut my exhaust of, as the car will at least sound faster :smile:

I've never noticed a handling difference in mine, although when I'm on the ring I'll do a lap with and a lap without just to see if I find anything....if I can be bothered as I may be having far too much fun when I'm driving it and when I'm not I'll just stand there and admire what it looks with spacers on :smile:

Last edited:
I can't see how widening the track, shortens the car. What does wheel spacers have to do with length of the car?
What about putting the racer wheels on? That means by changing the alloys over ruin the characteristics? But renault made them for the clio, odd.
Also, you're saying the cars can't improved so race cars are just a complete waste of money? They should be raced from the factory. Okay then

I think you need to read my post again, and try and picture what I am saying, and in reply to the question being asked.

I've never noticed a handling difference in mine, although when I'm on the ring I'll do a lap with and a lap without just to see if I find anything....if I can be bothered as I may be having far too much fun when I'm driving it and when I'm not I'll just stand there and admire what it looks with spacers on :smile:

y5u8a7ap.jpg

These are my cars, I think they all look good without spacers

from the Ring

f62d8a98.jpg

Another from Silverstone

umehazut.jpg

and one from Oulton Park

I think they all look good without spacers :smile:

Oooooo nice collection! Lol.
I'm hoping to get a Mk1 FRS in January No presents for anyone this Christmas.
How was the MK2 round the track? I was hoping my best mate was going to come to the ring with me in April. He has a mountune MK2 but he can't make it

I agree that those cars look fine without the spacers, it's just that the clio does look a little anaemic without them.

I fitted 16mm spacers to my previous 197 fitted with H&R coil overs, hated them. Yes it looked better, but it had a detrimental effect to the handling. The car now became nervous feeling, especially under braking. I lost all confidence in it. They lasted a week, binned them off on eBay!