250 Spec...

...this is a must....I have been looking for an excuse to get out there for a while....I'm not to far from there....I will get some good roads in next week as I am going to Guisely (Leeds) for my bro's stag doo....I will ignore the motorways which gives a lovely route up through the Cotswolds and then Derby and Yorkshire Dales....back seats out run to make the most of the exhaust note!

It's not just me then.
I can get high 30s on a decent run but struggle on the day to day drive, just like the Clio.

Took one for a test drive yesterday.

Was i impressed? Honestly....i dont know.

Dont get me wrong, the oyster grey is stunning, the interior is so plush, the standard leathers are reallll comfy.

But the one i drove was dog rough. Front splitter hanging off, rear valance cracked, dirty interior, carpark dings, brakes were AWFUL and in my opinion....didnt feel overly quicker than the clio....but my god it made a nice noise!!

No cup pack so it was a comfy ride...even with the 19s.

Will i be upgrading? Im really not sure, another test drive will be required for sure. Felt real nice though.

One thing, the steering wheels, are any of them as chunky as the ones in a FF clio? i love my steering wheel and the meg250 one felt real thin.

Will i be upgrading? Im really not sure, another test drive will be required for sure. Felt real nice though.

Book yourself on a RUK trackday and book a session in the Meg. You will be able to do back to back comparison between your car and the Meg in the same conditions, same day etc. Then try coming back and saying that again :wink:

Dont get me wrong, the oyster grey is stunning, the interior is so plush, the standard leathers are reallll comfy.

But the one i drove was dog rough. Front splitter hanging off, rear valance cracked, dirty interior, carpark dings, brakes were AWFUL and in my opinion....didnt feel overly quicker than the clio....but my god it made a nice noise!!

One thing, the steering wheels, are any of them as chunky as the ones in a FF clio? i love my steering wheel and the meg250 one felt real thin.

driven a newish 250 cup awhile back from harratts wakefield...lets put it this way the sales guy wanted to get out of it when we went round a local roundabout sideways :smiley: was like a bullet!!!

clutch was too sharp for my liking but the performance handling were epic if a little too easy to achieve...

would i have one...yes! if in the position to do so but would probably have a 200 first on the list with megane second and festa st 3rd!!

Last edited:

Not sure if I'll help this arguement... but having just picked up a Meg (OG / Xenons / Recaros /Cup chassis) I can appreciate your reservations..

[Disclaimer..]
I've had it for a few days and only driven it on motorway / or in the rain.
[/Disclaimer..] :smile:

Don't get me wrong the meg is fast and the LSD is just awesome. But it doesn't have the same 'fun factor' as the R27 it replaces.

Altogether it feels much bigger and more grown up / plush than the Clio. It's lazier - you can just put your foot down in any gear, whereas the clio is always begging you to take it over 5k rpm. In terms of grin inducing qualities I think the clio wins. - For me, the clio wants more attention/focus from the driver.

The steering wheel in the meg is slightly thinner than the clio's but actually I quite like how it sits in the hands.

Suspension / ride wise the Clio feels harder than the meg but the meg still handles well and corners just as flat.

The Meg is definitely a better mile muncher - it handled the motorway like a nice German cruiser. Quiet and composed. (not that most want to drive these cars like that). Space in the rear seats is less than the Clio in terms of foot room.

It feels wrong to say the 197 is "Raw" when you compare it to the old skool Valvers etc, but it is definitely that when compared to the Meg.

Hoping for some nice weather and clear roads to further assess.

Definately get where you are coming from. Its all i hear tbh. Clio is more fun etc etc.

Yesterday i went out in the clio for the first time in a long time to just "drive". TCS off, country roads, and i loved it. Pin point precise. Feel every lump and bump, and when you are really working it....the 2.0ltr N/A lump is really rewarding.

But thats just it...."...the first time in a long time..."

Id put money on a mere 2000 miles of my 30k ive done in the 200 being classed as "spirited miles"

The car gets used 1 week every four for a four person lift share, 70 miles a day.
The car gets used for short trips too and from the lift share.
The car gets used for journeys shopping and weekends away where anything over 5k is considered "thrashing it" by the misses.

I find the clio tedious and hard work 90% of the time. I know some say thats stupid, but i know N0ddie knows what i mean. It just feels OTT when your not "on it"

Day to day the only bit of fun time is usually off a round about or in a straight line play with others.....which the meg would out do the clio in every way.

I cant comment on the LSD as the one i drove wasnt a cup.

But ultimately sinking money into another car could be just a waste, would a old S3 do the same job? But would i be happy?

ARGH 1st World Problems lol

Definately get where you are coming from. Its all i hear tbh. Clio is more fun etc etc.

Yesterday i went out in the clio for the first time in a long time to just "drive". TCS off, country roads, and i loved it. Pin point precise. Feel every lump and bump, and when you are really working it....the 2.0ltr N/A lump is really rewarding.

But thats just it...."...the first time in a long time..."

Id put money on a mere 2000 miles of my 30k ive done in the 200 being classed as "spirited miles"

The car gets used 1 week every four for a four person lift share, 70 miles a day.
The car gets used for short trips too and from the lift share.
The car gets used for journeys shopping and weekends away where anything over 5k is considered "thrashing it" by the misses.

I find the clio tedious and hard work 90% of the time. I know some say thats stupid, but i know N0ddie knows what i mean. It just feels OTT when your not "on it"

Day to day the only bit of fun time is usually off a round about or in a straight line play with others.....which the meg would out do the clio in every way.

I cant comment on the LSD as the one i drove wasnt a cup.

But ultimately sinking money into another car could be just a waste, would a old S3 do the same job? But would i be happy?

ARGH 1st World Problems lol

i use my 197 as an every day car now as i had to get rid of the second car...

to be honest i think (mine) is fine doing the local drive/commute for what i use it for at the moment...if the job front changes and i can afford it i would have a cheap second car so i can get the 197 back to tip top condition ;/